ECM-MSD1 Sony High Grade Stereo Microphone / Filming A Bar Band at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Tourist

ECM-MSD1 Sony High Grade Stereo Microphone / Filming A Bar Band

Hi,

I recently purchased a DCR VX2100 and I'd like to get opinions on this microphone. Is this a significant upgrade to the standard microphone?

This would be used to film is a rock band playing in a small bar. I don't have the ability to take an audio feed from a mixer, and I'm looking for the least cumbersome setup.

Also, should I leave the audio settings on auto, or will that lead to problems?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete
Peter Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Probably not an appreciably better sound solution. It is designed to mount on your camera and that doesn't resolve the basic problem of having a microphone mounted on the camera.

There are no easy nor inexpensive solutions to club sound. Either you do it very close to 'right' (whatever that may be) or you might as well stick with the on-board microphone.

Auto is rarely good enough for quality sound recording.
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #3
Tourist

OK - I've also given some thought into purchasing a minidisc player to record live concert audio. I'd like to get one that could take an output from a soundboard or simply plug a mic into it and record. Can anybody suggest a minidisc recorder that is suitable for recording rock bands at small to medium sized venues? I'd like to keep my budget in the $200 range.

As far as my on board camcorder sound goes - what deciblel level should I be targeting to get the best overall sound without distortion? -10db or so?

And, I'd still like to hear how the Sony ECM-MSD1 microphone stacks up against the on-board DCR-VX2100 microphone.

Thanks...
Peter Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I bought a used Sharp MD-MT15 on eBay last fall. It works so well, I bought a second unit last month. Both cost about $65.

I don't know much about new machines, but traditionally, Sony Minidisc recorders required one to stop the recording in order to change the record level. The Sharp units can do it while recording.

With a digital recording, the output will be perfect up to the point the record level hits 0db. Beyond that it will sound horrible. So the trick is to select a recording level where peaks never quite reach 0db.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio