DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Diff Betweeen Okatava's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/21673-diff-betweeen-okatavas.html)

Neil Kissoon February 20th, 2004 10:48 AM

Diff Betweeen Okatava's

Hey guys I was talking to a salesman about the okatava's and is the mc012 and mk012 the same thing? He said one replaced the other? I told I was looking for a hyper cap and the usual dealies.... Thanks again...
Neil

Matt Gettemeier February 23rd, 2004 07:26 AM

Neil, sorry your question didn't get answered here sooner. Maybe you already got your answer.

I don't know if one of those model numbers replaces the other, but they are basically the same mic.

It would be interesting to see/hear if there are any differences in those mics... as I've understood it up till now, they are the same.

Beas got some cool black ones up in Canada. If you get 'em down here they're silver...

Neil Kissoon February 23rd, 2004 07:47 AM

Thanks Matt, no one got back to me, I thought maybe it was too stupid question... I wasn't sure about if was, kinda but not 100 percent, I was reading past posts and did contact those places bryan talked about, but they don't do the single hyper with the mic... but I should definitely ask for the black... Thanks again
Matt...
N

Bryan Beasleigh February 23rd, 2004 10:44 AM

AVR will sell one capsule sets (cardoid and pad) or three capsule sets (pad, omni, cardoid and hyper) in single or supposedly matched pairs. Choice of finish is matte black or silver.

I just got off the phone with Jason.

Rob Hester February 23rd, 2004 11:16 AM

ARG well there goes that idea. Thanks for the legwork guys...so Neil, I am in the same boat as you. Have you decided what you will be doing now?
Thanks,
Rob

Neil Kissoon February 23rd, 2004 11:56 AM

Thanks Bryan, I called Jason and they have it... I called him on Saturday but he wasn't in...

Rob they sell it exactly as bryan says...
one capsule sets (cardoid and pad) or three capsule sets (pad, omni, cardoid and hyper) the best deal is to get the three...
mean wanted the hyper, i was going to scrape buy using my onboard cam mic for ambient, but this way goes i can use the omin and do it properly.... whatcha going to do, Rob?

Bryan Beasleigh February 23rd, 2004 01:42 PM

The difference between the kit of 3 capsules and the single hyper is only $50. If you did want to save then but one kit and one single. That way you'd have 2 cardoid for stereo and be able to mix the remaining capsules between the 2 preamps.

I get my Shoeps mk41 tomorrow (i'm such a gear slut ;) I'll have to do a comparison. The standard foley test , heavy rocks glass drop the ice and pour many fingers of scotch. This is followed by another glass, rocks , popping a can of club soda and then pouring. (The soda is in a separate glass, I mix internally)

Following this, some witty pros.

All kidding aside, Matt G did this and it blew me away. He actually mixed good whiskey with coke though (shudder!) The ice, the glug, glug of the booze, the sharp pop of the soda pop can and the fizz when opening and pouring the mix really show a fair bit about the mic.

The tests that I've done used either a very good single malt scotch or a top blend.

Aaron Koolen February 23rd, 2004 04:48 PM

Now Whiskey has to go with coke, otherwise it's damned awful...Well ok, Jacks with coke and that's technically Bourbon I guess.

Bryan, isn't the MK41 the big mamma of the microphone world - used by them fancy buggers in the movies?

Can't wait to hear the tests if it is.

Cheers
Aaron

Matt Gettemeier February 23rd, 2004 06:39 PM

Hey Neil, just so you know... I'd suggest getting one complete Matte Black kit to start... Unless you can afford two kits... Or maybe even one complete kit and one cardioid only kit? (As Beas suggested... but if it's only $50 difference... get the 3 cap kits.)

Using two Oktava's for stereo works great! What I did was buy (2) cardioid cap kits, but almost immediately I wanted for the hyper cap... so then I ordered that...

As it turns out, in my experience, the most common use for the Oktava is going to be one mic at a time, with either the cardioid or hyper cap. Even at times when I could easily use two mics, I'm mainly using one Oktava for primarily dialog, or else for a second track to capture mostly ambience. Meaning Tram on my speaker, and Oktava cardioid capturing location on channel 2. *OR* I'll use the Oktava hyper boomed/pointed at my speaker and then internal mic (turned up) for location.

Of course when you really want to capture an acoustical space you'll enjoy what you hear from two Oktava's in an XY or ORTF configuration. So face it, eventually you'll be in the gear slut cult yourself! You'll probably want two complete Oktava kits whether you think you need 'em now or later... It's just a question of what you can afford now. I paid $73 shipped for one hyper capsule... After I eventually complete two whole kits I will have been better off just getting the kits complete to start. Plus I coulda' had black.

I would like to see every DV shooter with one killer mic for everyday use or at least for special ocassions. That's where I'd put a mic such as an Mk41... It's a KILLER mic that should kick ass in ANY use.

As far as Oktava's go. We're blessed to have some pretty decent mics available at such a fantastic price (for what we get.) I wouldn't put an Oktava in the "killer" category... but they're cheap enough that you can get two for good stereo... and fortunately they're so cheap that it's worth it just to have a spare for the times when you DON'T care about stereo, which will be often.

You may not realize it yet... but you're about to step out onto a slippery slope... The Oktava is a good "initiation" to the world of better DV sound... Oh, don't get me wrong! It's a fun ride... but as soon as you hear how good the Oktava is compared to a lot of other mics, you'll start fantasizing about "perfection" that you never thought possible. Just ask Beas. He sucked me in... and I'm hot on his heals for a mic such as the omnipotent Mk41.

If I could go back in time with even one of the little Oktava's I'd reshoot almost every project I did before getting them.

Welcome to GSA (Gear Sluts Anonymous)...

Rob Hester February 23rd, 2004 07:57 PM

Neil, i'm not sure what I am going to do now...more research i guess... :(

(a dissapointed) Rob

Bryan Beasleigh February 23rd, 2004 11:40 PM

Aaron
It is indeed. I'll do a test as outlined. What self repecting Kiwi would adulterate the breath of life with bloody coke. That's the kind of thing a Canadian would do. Not even a whindging pomme would do that! Oy vey, the pain!

Aaron Koolen February 24th, 2004 01:58 AM

Bryan. Excellent, can't wait!

Us Kiwis are a little less civilised in the whiskey department. I do remember almost having a heart attack when I was holidaying in England many years ago and walked into a small village pub and said "Could I have a whiskey and coke please" and he goes which one and proceeded to swing his arm like he was unveiling a wall, and,err, well, unveiled a whole damned wall of whiskeys!

Aaron

Cannon Pearson February 24th, 2004 06:23 AM

Bourbon and Coke(especially Makers Mark) would sound really nice recorded with an Octava. Skotch and any mixer would produce terrible audio, and the soundmnan who tried should be fired immediately.

Bryan Beasleigh February 24th, 2004 10:09 AM

What is Skotch?
Scots Whiskey or Scotch is an aquired taste and doesn't go well with anything but water or carbonated water.

Makers Mark and other decent Bourbon's should be enjoyed whatever way the buyer wants. I prefer to savor the actual taste.

If I adulterate it with coke I should use a cheap whiskey and use a low cost Chinese microphone.

Actually the ice clinking in the glass, the pop of the can opening and the rush of effervesance when you pour the product makes a really interesting test.

Neil Kissoon February 24th, 2004 10:31 AM

Thanks Matt for the detailed rundown... I probably going to go with the 3 cap set in black, I always thought omin was good for ambient, now guys wanting me hungering for more equip, which means more money to spend, damn!