Azden 500UDR Users, Which Lav...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 21st, 2004, 09:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Azden 500UDR Users, Which Lav...?

I'm looking to buy a UHF lav/transmitter to go with my newly acquired Azden 500UDR receiver. I would like for the lav to be in the sub $400 range - more like $200 range. Do they even exist? Why do lavs cost so much?

I want to use it for simple interviews. No chance of interference from other roving set ups.

Any suggestions? Any preferred suppliers?

Thanks for your help!
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The Azden 41BT is the transmitter that will work with the 500UDR and should have been included if you bought it new. Comes with a lav also.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM   #3
Major Player

The current model is the 51BT BodyPack transmitter and either the Azden EX-503 or the Sony ECM-44B Lav
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you

Don and Marty,

Thank you for the information and the links. I've searched high and low for months, but somehow never stumbled on the info I was looking for. What you provided is exactly what I needed.
Outstanding!
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Azden's 51BT has a 4-pin Hirose connector. Are there any adapters that would allow connecting a "normal" XLR type mic to the 51BT?

I have a 41BT and a 51BT and it seems to me that it would be most useful to record using mics other than just lav mics like the EX-503H or ECM-44H. For example, if recording the audio from musical instruments or from a podium --- but without runing XLR cables...

I also have an Azden 41XT that I can use to accomplish this, but if there is an adapter to go from a 4-pin Hirose connector to a 3-pin XLR it would be very handy...

Thanks, Ed
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Not that I know of.
Don
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Azden should be able to make you this cable at a decent price.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The last time I talked to them about a special cable they said they don't make specials. You might want to give Armatos in NY a call as they do make special cables but I don't know if they do Hirose conectors.
Don
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help! Especially from Marty Wein...

As it turns out, a helpful person read my earlier message and contacted Azden and they will now make up these cables (with one end a XLR-3M and the other a Hirose 4-pin male connector) for $39.95 discounted to $34.95.

Still seems rather pricey for just a simple cable --- but I feel most fortunate that I can get them at all... and, I have this forum to thank for that.

Strangely, I figured that lots of people would want such a cable for use with the Azden 41BT and 51BT transmitters...

Anyway, thanks again!

Ed
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #10
Trustee

A bare Hirose connector, not soldered to anything retails for $18. Specials are time consuming and someone has to pay the freight.

It is scary , sometimes , what seems to be a simple cable ends up costing an arm as well as some reproductive gear.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #11
Inner Circle

WOW, good info about Azden. The last time I talked to them they said they don't do special cables.
Thanks for the update,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio