DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio-Technica ATWr100 lav mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/217544-audio-technica-atwr100-lav-mic.html)

Brian Luce April 20th, 2009 12:16 AM

Audio-Technica ATWr100 lav mic

I've got an ATWr100. Today I had it on one channel and an Octava 012 hyper on the other channel. Just a talking head shoot. The ATW kept failing after about 15 minutes. I'd change the batteries and it'd be good for another 15. Weird thing is I'd test the batteries and they're still good. So it's like the ATW needs a perfectly fresh 9 volt battery to function and once it's used about 5 per cent of it's capacity it shuts off. Luckily I had the Octava on the other channel. But there was some room reverb so the lav was the first choice. I ended up recording a looping track in my car with the Octava just in case I have to loop in the audio later. The sound quality of the ATW is fine, just won't stay on. Anyone know what is going on?

Jay Massengill April 20th, 2009 07:06 AM

What exact type of batteries are you using and how are you testing them? If you aren't using a tester with a load that's comparable to what the mic draws, then it won't really be a valid test.
How have the batteries been stored? If they are loose in a bag with no protection on the terminals, they will likely be drained from shorting together.
How long have you had this mic and has it operated normally in the past?

Rick Reineke April 20th, 2009 10:19 AM

I had one of those receivers for a while and had the same problem, It was a result of one of the 9Vs not making contact, drawing more power than the single 9V could handle for any length of time. It was fixed by gluing small piece rubber to underside of the battery door, and by making sure the battery was positioned correctly. I think it was the inner battery that that gave the problem. Even with that fixed I only got about 5hr.s out of two Procells which is normal for that particular receiver which was one of the reasons I sold it a few years ago.
AT has the 700MHz rebate program going for which that unit should be eligible, so a decent trade up may be possible. Contact AT for details.

Brian Luce April 20th, 2009 02:38 PM

I've tried several brands, all brand new, always the mic cuts out at about 20 minutes. Right now I'm trying Rick's suggestion of a space in the battery compartment. I'd sell my soul to get 5 hours of record time.

700mhz requires original receipt, unfortunately I don't have it, I got it second hand here at DVinfo.

Rick Reineke April 20th, 2009 03:22 PM

Addendum: I never had any battery issues with the U100 system's ATW-T101 body pack transmitter.

Brian Luce April 23rd, 2009 02:56 PM

It seems the transmitter and receiver are good for about 45 minutes. After that, the batteries just won't drive it, even though my tester shows the batteries nearly at full charge. As a temporary solution I'm thinking of just hard wiring the lav mic via XLR cable. The camera can provide 48v phantom so is it as simple as finding an adaptor?

Anyone know where to buy a 5 pin mini XLR male (TA5f) to to regular 3 pin XLR male adaptor?
Not finding it on google.

Dean Sensui April 23rd, 2009 04:13 PM

I have a pair of those wireless mics and they usually run for about 5 hours on NiMH 9v batteries. I'm not using them much lately (got a couple sets of ATW-1800s) but they were always reliable enough.

Jay Massengill April 23rd, 2009 04:15 PM

Audio-Technica makes an adapter for their 4-pin mics, but it costs about $100:

AT8539 Power Module

I don't know of one for a 5-pin wireless lav.

They also have these listed, but I don't see your lav mentioned specifically:
AT8531 Power Module

AT8533 Power Module

AT8534 Power Module

AT8537 Power Module

AT8538 Power Module

AT8539 Power Module

Brian Luce April 23rd, 2009 07:28 PM

Would this allow the AT MT830cT5 and its 5 mini mini XLR (TA5f) to connect directly to the camera's female XLR jack?

Voice Technologies 48v Phantom Power Adapter TA5M at Markertek.com

Rick Reineke April 25th, 2009 07:22 AM

Some mics require different wiring, negitive vs, positive bias. IT would work with a VT mic for sure. I would contact VT to check compatibility with your mic.