Sports Microphone Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 25th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Sports Microphone Advice

Does anyone know what microphone is used in pro football to mic-up the players when they are on the field. I would like to implement audio from the players into my sports videos. I use a lavalier mic for the coaches but I do'nt think a transmitter attatched to a player would last more than one play before it gets crushed nor do I think the State High School Leauge would allow it.

Thanks

The G Dog
Gary Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #2

Shotguns and parabolics. Shotguns are fair, parabolics capture grunts, hits, and noise, but are basicly useless for much else. I once saw a home-made parabolic that worked pretty darn good, out of a toy gun, a tupperware bowl (big salad kind) and a cheap mic. I was surprised at how well it worked. And was being used for high school football.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the quick reply Douglas Spotted Eagle. This sounds very creative and I may give it a try. Just hope my wife does'nt want to make a large salad soon.

Thanks

The G Dog
Gary Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Gary,

Take a look at the Audio-Technica AT895 Adaptive Array shotgun.

http://www.audio-technica.com/news/p...Med_AT895.html

We have two of them and I actually field tested them at high noise sporting events such as Miami Heat and Florida Panthers games with some very impressive results.

It is also great for interviews where there is allot of ambient noise.

The down side to the mic is that it is pretty expensive.

RB
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Major Player

On an old Sennheiser page it said that the Arizona Cardinals use Evolution 500 systems with me2/mke2 lavs on the players. It said that the transmitter is under the pads...

I'd assume it would be in a section of cut-out foam in the shoulder or something like that...

Maybe you can still find this page on the Sennheiser site... I didn't check.

The other thing that ISN'T said is whether or not the action is scripted when they use those transmitters. As they write it the implication is that they can use these in the middle of a practice with the same intensity and hits as a real game.

The little story said that the Cardinals are building a larger fan base by offering really intense and highly produced videos.

On an off-note, I have a good friend who's built like a pro-wrestler... huge... first day I tried out my Lectro set he fell off a log and onto another... the only thing between his hip and the log was the little Lectro transmitter... no problems. But maybe I just got lucky?
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio