Edirol R-44 and timecode - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
I would then be able to "sync to timecode" on my editing software. All the footage would automatically sync up to the four channels of audio.
Make sure your NLE reads timecode from an audio track. Not all do.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Phivo...

From your description you seem to be saying that you'll take timecode from the R-44, and send it to your camera via a wireless connection?

The R-44 has a Control-Sync jack, but it's to link two R-44s to create an 8-track recording system. I don't think it can feed sync data to a camera. And it's doubtful a camera will slave to an audio recorder.

Here's what I do: get the camera and recorder to the same "time of day" at the start of the day. Then use that embedded data in post to line up the continuous audio tracks with the individual video clips.

A couple of caveats: It's impossible to get both recorder and camera to get perfect time-of-day sync. So clips have to be nudged into perfect sync in post. The BWF files created by the R-44 are stamped with timecode at the start of the file, and the rest of the file's timecode is based on assumptions of sample rate and duration. There's always the risk of drift. But I always check and make corrections as needed.

Generally speaking, it all works. But it does require manually attaining audio/video sync.

I like the R-44. It's compact. Seems solidly built. It's easy to operate in the field. The audio quality is just great for what I do, even when recording voiceovers in a studio environment.
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Dean. Yes that is what I intended to do and yes in an ideal world what i hope it does would be fantastic. The rep at Roland believes I will be able to achieve these results, but they lent it to me so that I can check and make sure.

I use Edius and i was told that it would do this. From the research I have done a number of people told me that sending timecode to an audio channel is common and doable.

I should know within the next couple of days when i finally get an opportunity to test it.

If it does not work the way i intend, then Dean i guess i would have to fall back on your suggestion - it sounds like the next best thing.

Fingers crossed!
Phivo Christodoulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #19
Regular Crew

correction... my mistake. Sorry guys i have gotten the models mixed up. I am referring to the R-4 Pro, not the R44. The R-4 Pro does timecode sync. My bad.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #20
Inner Circle

As Gilda Radner used to say as Rosanne Rosannadanna, "Oops. Never mind!"
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Yep sorry. Too many similar model numbers it gets confusing.

Dean have you considered going up to the R-4 Pro? I know it's a couple of grand more and I guess it's up to every individual to weigh up the time you save in syncing is worth the money over time.

It only recently occurred to me that that video producers (myself included) are happy to part with large amounts of money every 1-2 years for cameras, yet will not spend less than half that amount once off for audio equipment that will last at least 10 years.

It's an interesting topic.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
As Gilda Radner used to say as Rosanne Rosannadanna, "Oops. Never mind!"
Um, that would be Emily Litella. Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something."
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #23
New Boot

I have an R4 Pro and an HD-P2 (my backup recorder). Sometimes I sync the Tascam's TC-in to the Edirol's TC-out to give me six tracks when we're using two booms plus three or four body mics. Or I use it to create the guide track mix from the Edirol's stereo line outs. Needless to say, I'm considering shelling out for an eight or ten-track (Deva or Fusion, the Fostex - or has anyone checked out the new Tascam HS-P82? - it seems like a great deal, but of the course the pre-amps are always the biggest question mark with "great deals").
Robert Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Re: Edirol R-44 and timecode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
When you guys claim these inexpensive consumer grade recorders maintain dead sync with various cameras, all sorts of alarm bells go off.
What about this lav recorder?

Zaxcom ZFR200 Miniature Digital Audio Recorder :: Professional Recorders :: Recorders :: Coffey Sound
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Re: Edirol R-44 and timecode

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R. Gates View Post
I don't have any direct experience with that recorder but knowing Zaxcom I would expect it to have accurate and stable clocks and hold sync far tighter than any of the Zooms or other 'pocket recorders'. The only way one can be sure of maintaining sync for shots running longer than 5 or 10 minutes is to drive both the camera and audio recorder sample clocks from a common timebase.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio