Homemade Boom Pole! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 10th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks-- I try to be accurate and add something of value to the discussion. Sometimes it may be a little more detail that people are used to, and I may offer contrary opinion, by I do so in the best interest of fairness.

I appreciate your appreciation. :-)

But whats a "Fujinon"??

You've really got me wondering.....
Neil Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #17
Warden

Fujinon is the broadcast division of Fuji Optical.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Oops, Neil Slade really did have the original post of this idea: I didn't realize I was following in his footsteps until I was alerted of his older post - I guess I did add the coupler idea which makes the project even simpler and to an "In Home Depot" project completely. Anyways, hats off the Neil, and I'm glad so many people are reading this post and making use of it! Best of luck to all in your micing adventures!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Bryan, are you out there?

Hey bryan, just wanted to see if you could e-mail those pics you posted on this thread, the links are not working any more. Thanks!
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Boom Pole Origin

Here ya go
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/pole.html
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

wow, quick reply.

Great, thanks Neil.
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #22
Trustee

While at Home Depot, you can get materials to make a blimp for the microphone as well. Gutter covers wired together to form a cylinder with rubber bands shot through and held in place with chopstix on the outside of the metal screen shell works as a great shock mount as well. I have mine wired to a disassembled (cheap) radioshack microphone holder for attachment to standard mike stands. Costume fur cover takes away the wind noise beautifully! Price for the blimp < $10!

http://www.yafiunderground.com/blimp (sorry: Server is currently unavailable, but should be up in a couple of days...service provider issues. Try back 1/20/06)

p.s. I'll be using the method here for attaching my blimp to my paint pole...I currently have the blimp wired to a paint roller frame for thread compatibility.
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Blimp

Hmmm

this is interesting- however, transparency of sound can be an issue in regards to the material covering any kind of wind screen-- previously I tried to use fake sheepskin fur in place of the expensive fancy mike-fur of some devices-- it was not at all sound transparent- so care must be taken when putting generic materials over microphones.

I am anxious to see and/or try your invention!
Neil
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #24
Trustee

Here are some pix I scrounged up...
http://webpages.charter.net/knightscape/blimp/
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:27 AM   #25
Trustee

I picked up the thread adaptor at home depot last night works like a champ...specifically, I got a 3/8" Male Flare to 1/2" Female Pipe Fitting Brass Adaptor. The 3/8" is the right size for standard Mike stuff, but the thread may be too long on that, might try the compression thread (finer thread) to see if it's a better fit. I like the cut of the 1/2" though, it's a wider thread that makes it easier to use to cut new threads on the paint pole. Used a pliers to thread it down. My paint pole has an aluminum end on it, so it's threaded permanently. 16' of boom pole for $15, blimp for $10... I love home depot.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:19 AM   #26
Trustee

The compression thread didn't work. 3/8ths flare is the best fit for the industry standard mike stuff.
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio