ME66 windscreens. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 6th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1
New Boot

ME66 windscreens.

I am looking at buying a wind screen for my ME66. I see that there are two different kinds. The MZW66 and the MZW66PRO. Is the Pro one worth the extra money? Any recommendations on any others? Thanks in advance.
Tyler Gred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I called B&H when I needed a windscreen a couple of years ago and asked this same question. I was told -- the expensive one's black. :) I got the black one, working on the theory that Sennheiser must have had a reason. This is no ordinary foam. It's made of very fine fibers that radiate out from the center.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Major Player

I got the MZW66PRO when I bought my ME66, thinking "hey, it may not be a zeppelin/dead cat setup, but it's better than nothing".

Honestly, I can't tell the difference. Not with the shooting I do, anyway. Never had any significant winds fly by while recording, so I'm not qualified to speak of its abilities.

What I CAN tell you, though, is that the velour is aggravating. Simply holding the screen for a moment will allow hundreds of itsy-bitsy black fibers to stick to your hands. You probably won't notice them at first, until you look closely, but they're there. All over your hands, the inside of your camera bag, on your camera, everywhere!

Even though it does help to protect the microphone from potential scrapes and scratches, I consider it a waste of money. But that's just me.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think the windscreen helps quite a bit. It's not really made for outdoor shooting, which really needs a blimp or a dead cat style windscreen. I think its main function is to reduce air turbulence from when the mic is being swung around on a boom pole indoors. I wouldn't shoot without it. I also had some shedding when I first got mine, but that's long since stopped. They're prickly too if they get stuck on your skin. I wouldn't want to breathe any of those fibers in either.
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #5
New Boot

So should I go with the just the regular one? Will there be much difference in them?
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That was your original question wasn't it? All I can tell you is that I did and am happy with the decision. I have never used the cheaper one though.
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #7
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Marco Leavitt : That was your original question wasn't it? All I can tell you is that I did and am happy with the decision. I have never used the cheaper one though. -->>>

Yes, but Robert seems to dislike the velour. It looks like the velour was the only reason it cost more. I am just curious to know how much the velour will help.
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, now, as Marco said, the shedding of his windscreen died down after a while. I hardly ever use the thing, so this hasn't happened yet. I don't doubt the quality of the product itself, or its usefulness in certain situations, like the "fast movement indoors" thing.

All I mean to say is that I have not noticed a difference in the quality of the sound with or without the screen.

But hey, if you're gonna buy one of them, why not get the pro version? Not ridiculously expensive, really...plus you get to tell people about the material. "It's real velour!" :)
Robert Martens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio