DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sony UWP-C1 (66) vs Sennheiser Evolution 100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/22925-sony-uwp-c1-66-vs-sennheiser-evolution-100-a.html)

Glen Elliott March 14th, 2004 10:20 PM

Sony UWP-C1 (66) vs Sennheiser Evolution 100

Up in the air between two wireless systems- Sony UWP-C1 (66) and the Sennheiser Evolution 100. Which is better and why? Thanks in advance.

Glen Elliott March 16th, 2004 11:33 AM

Stumped everyone?

Robert Mann Z. March 16th, 2004 11:52 AM

we have the senn evo100, nice system, a bit overpriced for my taste though, on my transmitter all the paint came off...i have no idea why...i have drop outs from time to time, senn has a list of frequencies to use depending on where you shoot...city to city
...we use them and still get drop outs...we found the mic cube to fail for no reason, i took it apart, put it back togther and it worked, still on a shoot there is no time for that...

i get about 4-5 hours of battery life on the transmitter and about 3.5-4 hours on the reciever...it's strange i would think it would be the other way round

i don't think i will buy another senn evo series, i would like to know what others think about the sony system

i have been using my senn system for about 3 years paid 500+

Glen Elliott March 16th, 2004 12:07 PM

Thanks for the input Robert.

Barry Green March 16th, 2004 12:49 PM

I've been using a 100 for a couple of months now, and haven't had any problems with it, but it's also used in some controlled conditions.

Another system you may want to pay close attention to is the Audio Technica 101. XLR output, true diversity receiver, Lectrosonics-compatible TA5F mic connector, and 99 channels.

Mike Rehmus March 16th, 2004 07:26 PM

I've had two senn system with lavs, plug-ons and the microphone with embedded transmitter for over two years. They work flawless and they are not pampered. I don't throw them but I've had the bodypack transmitter hit a concrete floor from 3 feet up and cannot find a mark on them.

Good sound, great range.

I've only had two instances of interference and a quick channel change took care of that.

Figure about $500 for the lav/bodypack xmtr, plug-on xmtr and the bodypack receiver.

Tim Borek March 17th, 2004 10:52 AM

No opinion of the Sony yet?

This doesn't look good for Sony. . . .

I considered the Sony system but ended up buying a Samson Micro 32 two weeks ago. I like the Samson so far, but the Micro 32 series needs an update in a big way. The components are still a little on the large size and the receivers camera-mounting options suck for smaller cameras. (I shoot with Canon GL2 and Panasonic DVC80.)

Ignacio Rodriguez March 17th, 2004 10:57 AM

I have the Sony kit and it's really great. Have not used the other one though, but I have used some Azden kits with better mics. The Sony mic is not very small, but still usable and being omni it's easy to use because it doesn't matter much in which direction it points.

Tha batteries lasting less in the RX is normal because it has diversity so there are more electronics at work there that at the transmitter.

Mike Rehmus March 17th, 2004 04:47 PM

The Senn bodypack receive is not Diversity. Only the wall-powered receivers are diversity.

Dave Largent March 18th, 2004 02:44 PM

I notice the Audio Technica system doesn't
come up much. Costs about the same as the Senn
and is true diversity. Maybe doesn't come up much
because of the size and weight?

Jim Hendrie March 18th, 2004 07:05 PM

I use the Sony...

It's the only one i have used so i can't compare it to anything else, BUT i like what it does, and how it does it! The weight of it while mounted in the hot-shoe of the PD-150 is almost nothing, and the battery life has been really good for me.

Sound quality has not disappointed me either.

Jim

Bryan Beasleigh March 18th, 2004 08:55 PM

The only wireless i've used in the Sennheiser and it's been problem free. No ones stumped they just haven't used both the Sony and the Sennheiser. The most popular is the sennheiser.

Look at the stock level at the suppliers, it's all sennheiser and a few Sony, now that I have noticed.

Dave Largent March 18th, 2004 11:16 PM

Sixty decibels signal-to-noise (Sony) versus 110 decibels
signal-to-noise (Senn). Other than that, I'm stumped.

Glen Elliott March 19th, 2004 07:04 AM

Wouldn't the lav mic contribute to the signal to noise ratio? If I upgraded to the highly regarded ECM-77 lav. mic wouldn't that greatly increase the signal to noise ratio?

Dan Brown March 19th, 2004 08:08 AM

I think the Sony uses an 'A' weighted end-to-end SNR rating, which is kind of a real-world performance metric. The Senn is probably rating the radio portion performance. In practice, I'll bet they are indistinguishable from and noise standpoint.

The Sony seems to be better from an egonomic perspective, especially for compact cameras. Smaller, lighter, hot-shoe mount, flip-up diversity antennas, AA bateries, Sony quality, etc. The Senn is proven for sure. But in a few years, the Sony probably will be too.