DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How does it sound? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/23153-how-does-sound.html)

Jan Roovers March 18th, 2004 05:39 PM

How does it sound?

I am curious to know what you think of the sound of this mic?
Here is the sounddample

Let me know.

Matt Gettemeier March 18th, 2004 10:25 PM

Is it an me66?

Bryan Beasleigh March 18th, 2004 10:58 PM

It's boomy with a bit of an echo

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 18th, 2004 11:52 PM

Pretty low-midrange heavy. What's the recording space like? Can't tell the delay is due to distance or big room with hard walls.

Jan Roovers March 19th, 2004 02:36 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Pretty low-midrange heavy. What's the recording space like? Can't tell the delay is due to distance or big room with hard walls. -->>>

You are right. That is true. It is in my room and it is large has a heigh cealing (3,5mtr) , strange corners and one hard wall and their is a splitlevel kitchen. My room has this dark reverbance. All together I cannot find any good place in the room without this heavy boom.

I will make another recording. May be in my sleepingroom.

BTW It is not a ME66

Jan Roovers March 19th, 2004 12:07 PM

I made a new soundsampel.
This one is better.
It is taken the same way but during daytime and with the curtains open.
What a difference!

Matt Gettemeier March 19th, 2004 04:09 PM

Hmm... I guess you should keep us in suspense for a while, but my 6th sense tells me that you're going for an unexpected conclusion so I'm now going to guess that it's the built in mic of your cam.

It has an up-front character that would make me guess otherwise... and I remember talking to you about a Neumann but my gut says you have a surprise coming... and by the character of the mic my guess is it's not really pricey.

What about the Sony ECM-NV1?

Can you give us a hint?

Bryan Beasleigh March 19th, 2004 04:19 PM

It's still boomy with a bit of an echo.

Jan Roovers March 19th, 2004 06:38 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Gettemeier : Hmm... I guess you should keep us in suspense for a while, but my 6th sense tells me that you're going for an unexpected conclusion so I'm now going to guess that it's the built in mic of your cam.

It has an up-front character that would make me guess otherwise... and I remember talking to you about a Neumann but my gut says you have a surprise coming... and by the character of the mic my guess is it's not really pricey.

What about the Sony ECM-NV1?

Can you give us a hint? -->>>

The ECM-NV1 is not a bad mic, but sounds sometimes as cardboard. So i wanted a better one.

You know I first could buy the Neumann KM185 very cheap (399euro) but when i went back to buy it: the store said that it was sold. They first told they had five left!
I regretted that and was a bit confused for a while, because I got in love with them as i have grown for the the Schoeps.
But i don't want to spend that much money.

Then I heard some samples of the Behringer B-5, which I denied at first. I gave it a try and to my surpise the frequency-range curves of the NT1 and the B-5 give exactly the same response, but the Nt1 is a bit more flattering for voices. I was surprised about the resemblance. But it looks as if there is a little bit more echo in the higher frequencys with the NT1, which can be seen in the curves with voices. Very strange. May be that is flattering the voice. The B-5 is very dry.
But in all cases better and much better defined as the ECM-NV1 . It makes me recognise everything in the house: drawers, doors of wardrobes, hanging on the telephone every thing in the house i could find. Things that disappear in the fog with the ECM-NV1.
But I don't know yet if i like that very dry sound. The mic is very sensitiv, but not forgiving. I made extremely good recordings, but difficult situations are very emphasized.
For instance the recording of my room is really very booming and has a lot of echo, more as I ever thought. I tried with other mics and it is really my room. It is not the mic. To be sure I translated some of my mics to NT1 with Antares mic convertor to be sure. Without that it is difficult to compare.
Strange enough the best results I got in my kitchen. My livingrooom is a disaster for sound.

This mic is very honest, sensitive, but I will compare it with a NT3 to be sure. The NT3 is more velvet. The B-5 has a very usable bass rolloff and a -10db switch, which i both like for my cam.

Another problem is the fact that the B-5 is cardiod for frequencys at around 8000hz and superardiod for other frequencies. This influences the off-axis response a bit. This is the same as you will have heard with the Oktave. The Neumann's don't have that.
It makes the sound cleaner.

I am very enthousiastic with a lot of recordings of the B-5 but in some cases I doubt. But I also doubt about the NT3. The flattering sound of the NT3 will be disappointing in other cases.
I agree that Schoeps and Neumann will do better in all cases, but as I said, I don't want to spend that money.

To be honest some disadvantages of the behringer are a bit comparible wilth the Oktava however I think that Oktava is more flattering, but then I think I like the NT3 a bit better. The latter is only a bit bigger and heavyer.
Tomorrow I think I will decide for the nT3 or this B-5.
This evening I did again some listening to all of the tests I made. I used my Sennheiser headphones for that and i must say those B-5's surprise me with their quality.

Iff you wish i can send you a better longer sound sample with all kind of domestic sounds, but it is 1,5Gb in MP3.

Jun Galinato April 9th, 2004 06:10 PM

Thank you to Jan Roovers, I just got my Behringer B-5 and wow! it's really better than the stock mic that comes with the DSR250. B-5 is twice the sensitivity of the stock mic ECM-NV1. And yes, the -10 dB attenuation really works good in a concert and loud music, no more distorted audio, compared to Sennheiser K6 series, I love Behringer better, the sensitivity is just enough, not to low, not to high, just perfect for my DSR250. Oh yeah, I like the omni at the Wedding reception, no more dead sound even turning around. Again thanks to Jan.

Bryan Beasleigh April 9th, 2004 07:23 PM

So after all of that it's a B5. Why all the suspense? I'm pretty good at blind tests. Names don't sway me either.

Matt and I pass samples back and forth and a few times we got the samples mixed. It was tough but we both spoke our mind even though we thought we were panning a big name. As it turned out the big names did come through, we just had them reversed.