That Cushy Thingy on the Lapel Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 19th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Major Player

That Cushy Thingy on the Lapel Mic

Hey, I have a lavalier mic with the tiny foam rubber windscreen on it that keep slipping off, I wonder if it hurts if I keep it in the box instead of on the mic?

For indoor purpose, of course, does it hurt that much? I don't think so, but perhaps somebody with actual experience can enlighten us...
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #2

Windscreens for indoor, and even most outdoor use, can be detrimental on a lav more than helpful if the fabric they are attached to is rough. The mic will work just fine without it, and as I say, you might find it better anyway. Just be sure the mic isn't in direct lines with any air from the mouth or nose.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmm.. that make sense, if the nose is breathing close and onto it, there might be breathing sound, ha, ha.

Thanks.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Using windscreens indoors is just a precaution audio guys like to take to save them time not having to do retakes incase there's fabric noise or similar, or if it's a live broadcast.

I'd rather not use a windscreen indoors or even outdoors if I can avoid it. Great lav mounting is almost an art just like any other type of mic placement. If done properly and you're lucky to have very cooperative talent (who might have to pin their hair up, remove a necklace or change noisy clothing for example) and a controlled environment the need for a windscreen becomes trivial.
Max Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio