mic/boom/mixer/beachtec/ combo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

mic/boom/mixer/beachtec/ combo?

The last indie project I worked on, the director used a beach tek, with mic, and a portable mixer. Since it was several months ago, new technology has come out. I am ready to start my own feature and I need advice on equip. For $1000 or less I need a mic, boom pole, some kind of beach-tek and a mixer. Now, do I need the mixer? I want a basic set-up to get good sound and durability out of the equipment. most of the work will be done in a forrest, some indoors. Can someone plot me a solution here? If you can, include costs and the products model #'s. If a good solution can be had for under a $1000, please let me in on it. Please don't feel that you have to "strech" to spend the whole grand. If you have been down this road before and purchased these items before, a sort of " if I were to do this again I would..." sort of response. Any help is appreciated and some of the sound can be altered in post.
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you have a laptop, double system could be a viable option (but would slow you down during shooting and post). There are lots of USB and firewire sound cards that will give you excellent quality if your camera is not so good. It might be overkill though since every part in the chain has to good enough (including target audience).

2- What's your camera? dv.com has an article on how various DV cameras stack up (search for "Jay Rose"). A beachtek may not necessarily be the best route.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:37 PM   #3
Wrangler

You haven't given enough information for someone to give you specific advice.

Audio input connection on your camera . . . XLR or 1/8" socket
Type of sound you will be working on - voice or?
Forrest - rain forest or rainy forest or?
Interior - quiet, noisy?
How far does the boom pole have to reach?
Are you going to have an sound operator?

Right now I'd say you need, perhaps, a cardiod microphone so you can cover the widest possible types of sound and get better sound than with a shotgun.

You will need a wind sock outside unless there is NO wind.

Depending on the camera setup, you may not need an XLR adapter, especially if you use a portable mixer.

The boom pole and the mixer each could consume your entire budget.

You can get a really good used portable mixer, say a Shure FP32 for around $500 or so.

The least expensive pole is around $150 for a heavy aluminum rig without much extension capability.

Wind socks are around $150.

Microphone can run from $100 to way up there depending on what you want/need.

You may require a shockmount which range in cost from $70 to $200.

Don't forget a couple of cables and a spare. Not Guitar Center $10 cables either.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use an xl1-s, so not 1/8, xlr cables a must. would it help if I said I wanted "middle of the road" suggestions, I want to spend a grand, I don't need the "best" of anything, just reliable equipment that will do the job. The crew is about 6 people (actors included). ex: mic- $120-200 max, (best in that range for all around). I don't care if I mix and match brands right now, I need things to get the job done. that goes for all the equip, I will use a broom handle for the boom pole if I have to. I am thinking four componets, a mic, a beach tek, xlr cables, and poss a mixer.
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio