Newbie wireless opertation questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 21st, 2004, 11:52 PM   #1
Wrangler

Newbie wireless opertation questions

Just tested out my new UWP-C1 wireless on my PD-170 tonight. Very nice and has incredible range. The mic sounds a bit tinny but am upgrading to the ECM-77 lav might (should arrive this week).

Anyway I had some rather low level operation questions regarding wireless systems. Hopefully I won't these won't be stupid questions but this is my first wireless system, so bear with me:

1. Ok so there is two different setting for both reciever and transmitter- channel, and frequency. Where should I start for choosing a channel? Does it really matter as long as it isn't getting interference? Is there a rhym or reason to choosing the channel and frequency?

2. According to the UWP-C1's instructions they have you set the channel/frequency on the transmitter first- which I did. However once I turned my reciever on I couldn't get the frequency I set my transmitter on- it kept going up in mutiples of 120 or something similar. I simply couldn't choose the frequency # I set on the transmitter?! Why is this?

3. This may sound really stupid but do the channel and frequency have to match exactly to get a signal?

4. Once the frequency and channels on both reciever and transmitter are matched and I begin recording- say if I start to encounter interference...what can I do if say I'm at a wedding and I'm shooting the vows. Is there any way to change the channel from my end (the reciever) or does it HAVE to be done on both?

5. The UWP-C1 is a true diversity wireless sytem so it can recieve two channels and pick the more powerfull of the two? How does that work- how do I impliment this?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Major Player

1. Pick a frequency that is as far away as possible from the local commercial braodcast stations.

2. Don't know.

3. Yes.

4. You have to change both the transmitter and receiver frequencies. You cannot change the transmitter frequency from the receicer end.

5. The diversity receive antennas both pick up the same channel at the same time. The receiver picks the stronger of the two received signlas. It can change the antenna choice thousands of times per second if it needs to. You do not do anything, it works automatgically.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:00 AM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks for the input Dan.

Few more:

6. The transmitter has two settings H (30mW) and L (5mW). I'm assuming this is signal strength output. I would definitly want the stronger would I? In what circumstance would you need L (5mW) mode..is there any benefit? The instruction guide says "Set the RF output level to L (5mW) for simultaneous operation of muliple channels"....what does that mean exactly?

7. I only need the wireless for the vows portion of the wedding- other than that I want to use an onboard shotgun mic on my PD170 to pick up the organ music etc. What's the best way to handle this situation apart from feverishly unplugging my shotgun and plugging in my wireless? The PD-170 doesn't allow you to use channel 2 input as a main input- otherwise I'd connect them both and just switch it if the camera had that option.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Glen,

6. If you only have the one wireless setup then its fine to run the higher transmitter power. The problem they are talking about is called intermod. What happens is large amounts of RF from multiple frequencies(i.e. multiple transmitters on different channels) can create interference on one or more of the wanted receiver channels.

Its usually caused by the incoming signals mixing together inside the wireless receiver and generating extra or spurious signals. It can be planned around with careful picking of frequencies for each transmitter/receiver pair so any interference falls on unused frequencies.

7. With your PD170, you should be able to record from the camera mic and the wireless at the same time. I use the camera mic on channel 1 and my wireless on channel 2. I mix the two as required in post.

I keep the cam mic on 1 as this is 'always' active. I 'lent' my camera once and was caught out having the cam mic on ch2 and having the ch1 switch set to ch1+2 and the borrower complained of no sound - opps :(.
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM   #5
Wrangler

John, in able to use both channels don't you have to shoot in 32khz mode (4 channel mode)? If so I'd also need a capture program that can decipher the extra audio track...Vegas 4 doesn't recognize 4 channel audio.

Lastly won't 32kz create lower quality audio?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The PD170(I've got the 150) can record two mono channels at the same time in 48KHz mode. In 32KHz mode it can record 4 mono channels by overdubbing the second pair 3 and 4(I dont think the PD can record 4 channels at the same time).

So for your application you could record the on camera mic on channel one and the wireless on channel 2. In Vegas you should end up with a left and right channel, one carrying the cam mic audio and one with the wireless audio . Then you just pan and fade in Vegas to whichever audio you need - wireless for vows and cam mic for the organ music etc.
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:00 PM   #7
Contributor

> what circumstance would you need L (5mW)
> mode..is there any benefit?

If you will be close to the subject, using the lower power level should give a somwhat longer battery life on the transmitter. Also, there are currently huge arguments and little hard facts, but it is possible that prolonged exposure to UHF electromagnetic radiation might have harmfull effects on carbon-based life forms like you and me.
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Glenn,

Does the Sony transmitter have the ability to connect via XLR cable to a mixing board? That way I can connect the transmitter to a mixer and get the mixed feed wirelessly to my camera. If it does, do I need to purchase a cable separately?
Paul Chun is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio