DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   MKE 2ew versus something else (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/234372-mke-2ew-versus-something-else.html)

Jason McCormy April 30th, 2009 05:04 PM

MKE 2ew versus something else

Greetings audio experts and sage advisers.

I have been following the posts, listening to the advice, and the linked articles on audio performance. I am now getting ready to replace two of the mics on my GE2 systems. Right now they have the stock MKE2's.

I have four questions (who am I kidding, I have more, I just feel guilty asking them all at once). I have about 400 dollars to spend on each microphone, so around 800 in total.

1. How much of an improvement over the stock MKE2 is the MKE 2ew?
2. How does the improved Sennheiser MKE 2ew sound in comparison with the stock MKE2?
3. The mics by Countryman et al in this price range that can plug into the GE2 system, how do they compare with the Sennheiser MKE 2ew?
4. And do any mics, in this general price range (I'd pay more though for this feature), have a low frequency roll off switch to remove the sound of AC units etc.?

Thank you again for all your help. I really appreciate the advice and input I receive here to help get the best bang for my buck.

Rick Reineke April 30th, 2009 07:29 PM

- I have never seen a (direct connect) mic-to-body pack transmitter with an HP filter. High-end Lectros' have a variable filter on the body pack transmitter itself.

- The MKE-2 would be a major improvement over the "stock" MK-2. As would a Countryman, Sanken or Tram, those being the most popular. All have some pros & cons depending on a particular usage.

Jason McCormy May 1st, 2009 08:24 AM

Thank you for the response. I'm leaning towards the MKE-2 as it is a direct plugin. Even using Countryman's site, I can't quite figure out how it connects to the G2 transmitter.

Matthias Krause May 1st, 2009 10:34 AM

You can order the Contryman lavs with the fitting connector, no problem. I got my EMW through Gotham Sound but others offer the same service.

Jason McCormy May 1st, 2009 12:10 PM

Matthias,

Thank you for the advice. It seems I can. Do you know how the Countryman lavaliers compare to the MKE-2? Also, what Lavalier from them do you recomend in a mildly noisy environment?

Jimmy Tuffrey May 1st, 2009 05:19 PM

Do you actually mean to replace an 'ME-2' with an MKE-2 ? EW just means it has a mini jack wired for Evolution series transmitters.
Yes it makes a lot of difference although the mic is only one link in the chain. The radio link also has a lot to do with the sound. The audio chain is only as good as it's weakest link. Upgrading to the MKE 2 does give a far more open sound with less distortion.
MKE 2.4 gold is the one to go for. (with the EW tag to indicate wired to mini jack for Evolution series transmitters.)

Rick Reineke May 2nd, 2009 01:02 AM

<Do you know how the Countryman lavaliers compare to the MKE-2?>

Both are quality mics and will take abuse..... Apples and Oranges
For instance, the B6 is more easily hidden in plain sight, but is sensitive to wind noise.

Guy Cochran May 2nd, 2009 12:21 PM

The stock ME-2 lav that ships with the Evolution Wireless 100 series is pretty lifeless. "Good enough" for most folks until they hear what they've been missing.
The upgraded MKE-2 EW Gold (often pronounced as "Mickey two"), really, really opens up clarity wise. You'll hear detail that the stock ME-2 simply could not pick up. Especially in the high frequencies. Listen to the caliber of sound in this video at about half way through, Kyle will kick on a MKE-2. http://vimeo.com/1926732

The next mic I like to have in my kit is the B6. Not only is it incredibly small and sound similar to the MKE-2, it also ships with various caps. The standard flat cap is for placing exposed outside of clothing. Should you decide to hide the lav under a layer of clothing/tape, you can go for a "crisp" cap to get back some of the high frequencies.
Here is an audio example of the B6 Countryman B6 lavalier at DVcreators.net
The next mic worth exploring is the most expensive of the bunch. It seems that at the high, high end is the Sanken COS-11d. We just became dealers for the Sanken line and I'm excited about them after reading how well they match with a shotgun. I'll post a test to see how "full" the bottom end is. Usually, on even the most expensive lavs, they tend to lack bottom and sound "thin". It's worth reading about how the COS-11 was used in "Wild Wild West" in Will Smith's hat plus24:Peter Kurland"Walks The Line"withSankenLavalierMics

John Willett May 3rd, 2009 09:51 AM

The stock mic. is an ME 2 (*not* MKE 2)

The MKE 2-ew is vastly superior and is a high quality mic. that is often used by major theatres in London's West End.

Jason McCormy May 4th, 2009 09:26 AM

Thank you all for your advise. To keep things simple, I believe I am going to buy two of the MKE-2 mics since it sounds like they give a very nice performance bump over the stock mic.

Thank you all again.