Need help with Beachtek issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with Beachtek issue

I bought a used Beachtek DXA 4 a few months ago to use with my GL2 and have used it successfully since then, single channel only due to situations. Am planning for a job with multiple mics and was testing and find I cannot get sound out of the left channel. I believe I have been using the right channel all along, so this never surfaced. I have both set to mic level and the switch to stereo. Is there any history/likelihood of one channel failing or have I embarrassed myself and there is a simple answer? Thanks in advance!
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Can you see audio on the DX4 left channel meter but not get it out? Make sure all connections are fully made and try setting the GL2 to line in, not mic in.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM   #3
DVCreators.Net

Is the same issue occurring in both Mono and Stereo modes?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Allan, I see nothing on Left channel on GL2 meter. Tried Line, no change.

Guy, when on mono, but mic plugged into Left channel connection, sound is good but shows coming in on right channel.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Spearman View Post
Allan, I see nothing on Left channel on GL2 meter.
But do you see an audio reading on the left meter of your DXA 4? If you do, try another output cable to the GL2 in case it is faulty.

Another thing you should do, have a look at the screws on the DXA 4, see if they look like they've been unscrewed. In other words, has someone been tampering with it.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

There is not a separate meter on the Beachtek unit itself, I am only able to look at the one on the GL2. The screws on the Beachtek don't show any sign of having been touched, but was a good thought,thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Check to make sure the plug from the DXA is firmly seated in the external mic input jack on the camera. If you are outputting a signal from the DXA that is on the left channel only, the signal goes to the mini plug's tip. If you don't have it inserted all the way into the jack, the plug's tip makes contact with the jack's ring, placing it on the right channel in the camera. You might also have a faulty jack on the camera - those minijack's are notoriously prone to failure with heavy use - that's why they are virtually never used on professional equipment.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Bill, we had a similar problem with one of ours, the miniplug output cable had gotten pulled hard or something and the wire for one channel was broken inside. While it was a simple solder job to attach a new cable,(happened to have one on hand that would work) Beechtek was very prompt in offering a return authorization for us. Next time I'll let them do it...not saying this is your problem, but it apparently can happen..../ Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Battle, thank you, I was wondering if that was possible. I will call Beachtek to see what can be done. Was wondering if there was some "secret" I needed to know with these things, despite how straightforward they seem.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Make sure the MIC on the suspected channel is one that does not require phantom power.
Ben Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio