Getting Rumble with CMC64 + Rycote Lyra at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Trustee

Getting Rumble with CMC64 + Rycote Lyra

a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a rycote S blimp with Lyra suspension. very nice unit. however, when hand booming I'm picking up rumble with the CMC64. nothing wild, just some fairly gentle moves. OTH my old DIY mount ( which weighs next to nothing compared to the S ) used some large rubber O rings as suspension. I'd say it was quite a bit stiffer then the Lyra's I've got but still has some spring to it. I never picked up rumble with it even doing some quick moves. so I'm a bit miffed that my own shockmount outperforms the commercial unit to say the least... or then again maybe I'm a decent engineer ;)

My _theory_ is that the Lyra mounts are too loose and I'm really picking up wind noise as the mic jostles around. I'm using the light B5 windscreen indoors. I can see the mic bouncing around a bit. its not hitting, but its certainly moving a bit.

Therefore, I'm asking - should I get stiffer lyra ? I talked with Rycote @ NAB a week ago and they can supply softer or stiffer Lyra and I want to be sure I get the right thing the first time around.

I also plan to pick up a new shotgun soon too, which will be heavier.

Steve O
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Rycote lyra

Steve, when the Rycote Lyra mounts first came out, I tried one with my schoeps and found the same problem you have. I went back to my Ktek, which is quieter. I have also found the Cinela to be much quieter. My theory is having dissimilar materials is the key. The Rycote is totally made of the same material. Find the resonance and you hear it in the mike.

My thoughts.

David Rogers
David Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Wow David, you've used the Cinela? Those things are big bucks. Do you think it's worth the money? Also, FYI, you pretty much have to use a low-cut filter when booming with the MK41 no matter what your shockmount.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This is the best and cheapest shockmount for Schoeps.

Universal Shock Mounts
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Brooks, I'm a big fan of the PSC too. I'm pretty sure this is the shockmount (along with the Schoeps) that is visible in the boom shadow from the infamous Mr. Pink scene in "Reservoir Dogs."
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #6
Major Player

The Rycote Lyre suspensions are definitely the best out there (I am swapping all mine over to these).

Did you use the supplied XLR tail and did you address it properly?

A lot of noises can come up the cable and a properly addressed S-series XLR tail is essential. I actually use these tails on my Rycote InVision mounts to stop cable noise getting to the mic.
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Rumble in mounts

Steve, I am fortunate to live near Trew, so it is possible to test a number of mounts at one time with your favourite mic. My needs are for boom mounting, therefore I test each one mounted on a boom. For stand mounting most of the current mic mounts work well including the Rycote lyra mounts. I like the older rycote mounts for boom work better than the lyra ones. Yes the Cinela works well. I was one of the first to try the DPA Windpac when they came out with several years ago. I thought the ability to fold the windscreen would be great for traveling. It is a quiet mount and in no to low winds worked well. But when the winds increased you began to hear it, so I ended up selling it at a loss. For higher winds my Rycotes work the best for me.
My suggestion is try a number of the ones folks have mentioned in earlier posts and find the one that works for you.

David
David Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Trustee

well rycote offered to give me stiffer or loser lyra. I think I'm picking up wind rumble actually because the mic is just moving around so much in the mount. just using the B5 screen. yes I am using the supplied XLR setup

probably could remove the mount bracket from the PSC, put two new holes into it and mount it into the rycote. before I do something like this, I'm going to try swapping out the lyra.

thanks for the input, I'll let you guys know how this works out
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio