Audio for Wedding Video at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 17
Audio for Wedding Video

How do you wedding videographers capture audio at the weddings?
Sometimes on-camera mic doesn't pick up voices of the couple.
Should I get wireless mic system on my own? or should I ask the sound person for a copy of recording?
Sean Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
get and use your own wireless system. First, you get to control the audio coming into your cameraand second, many churches don't have a sound person and some don't have the capability to record. Never depend on someone else when you can do it yourself. You never know the abilities of the other person.
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #3
New Boot
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 17
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
get and use your own wireless system. First, you get to control the audio coming into your cameraand second, many churches don't have a sound person and some don't have the capability to record. Never depend on someone else when you can do it yourself. You never know the abilities of the other person.
Thank you Don.

If I were to get one, what's the minimum mic system I would need?
I'm thinking about one set of wireless lavalier trans/receiver (around $150?) to attach on my Sony HVR-A1. Should I give that lavalier to the groom?

Or should I get the sound from the mixer? In that case, what kind of audio equipment do i need?

Can anyone help?
Sean Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Coast - NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,420
Don, do you ever get interference using the wireless mike - I did a wedding on a golf course and the audio was full of loud clicks - I'm trying the Olympus digital voice recorder with a lapel mike - smaller than a transmitter, no interference and cheaper (I have to sync the audio though, I hope that's not too much of a pain)
__________________
Cheers - Paul M.
www.relivetheday.com.au : www.perbenyik.com
Paul Mailath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 2,109
I stopped using wireless mic setup for wedding vows. There're problems with the range and interference. Sometimes church wont' allow you to use wireless lav mic because they worry it will tap into the same channel they use causing problem.

Now I'm using a voice recorder like this

Amazon.com: Olympus WS-300M 256 MB Digital Voice Recorder and Music Player: Electronics

with a small wired clap lav mic for the groom.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=145045-410

pros: you get clear audio. also a second audio track to be used on top of the audio recorded with your cacmcorder for ambience sound.

cons: you have to synchronize the additonal audio track with the video recorded with the camcorder. From experience, I keep the camcorder recording so I only have to synchornize once per video clip.

ONe time I have a bossy church coordinator insist me removing the mic from the groom. She was worrying about the interference of their wireless setup. After I showed her mine is not a wireless mic, she's okay with that.
__________________
LA Color Pros Blog
RODE Authorized Reseller . Comer LED Camera Lights . TakyBox HTML5 Menu Generator
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #6
New Boot
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 17
Portable Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I stopped using wireless mic setup for wedding vows. There're problems with the range and interference. Sometimes church wont' allow you to use wireless lav mic because they worry it will tap into the same channel they use causing problem.

Now I'm using a voice recorder like this

Amazon.com: Olympus WS-300M 256 MB Digital Voice Recorder and Music Player: Electronics

with a small wired clap lav mic for the groom.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=145045-410

pros: you get clear audio. also a second audio track to be used on top of the audio recorded with your cacmcorder for ambience sound.

cons: you have to synchronize the additonal audio track with the video recorded with the camcorder. From experience, I keep the camcorder recording so I only have to synchornize once per video clip.

ONe time I have a bossy church coordinator insist me removing the mic from the groom. She was worrying about the interference of their wireless setup. After I showed her mine is not a wireless mic, she's okay with that.
I think I should try this way.
Do you have a sample video clip on the web by any chance, using this setup?
Sean Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 858
Sean, I would also suggest researching these forums, as the issue of audio for weddings (and wireless mics) have been discussed ad-nasuem and in much greater detail. My two cents, I like to have a wireless on the officiant (so I can hear when they are about to get going), and a mp3 recorder on the groom (seeing as how they say very little anyway). This is a live one-shot event and a paid professional has backups. Spend at least $600 on a wireless if you're thinking of making this a regular job. The mics will outlast your next 2 cameras, and you won't pull your hair out trying to 'fix' bad audio from cheap mics.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
While I agree with Oren about the discussion I will address the questions directed to me.
I have not had any problems with interference in probably the last 6 or 7 years. Why? I check for open freqs where I shoot unless I've been there before and nothing has changed.

As for what unit to buy, well there are lots of choices in a price range of $500 or $600. Sennheiser, Audio Technica and I think Sony has a unit. Personally I would stay away from the bargain basement priced units, you usually get what you pay for.

As for mini recorders,personally (and it my opinion only) I would never use an audio source I can't monitor during it's use and while I know a lot of the folks swear by them I couldn't in good faith use it.
Remember that's just my feeling and like everything else everyone has a different opinion.
YOu pays your money and takes your choice.
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I'm trying the Olympus digital voice recorder with a lapel mike - smaller than a transmitter, no interference and cheaper (I have to sync the audio though, I hope that's not too much of a pain)
Depends on your definition of 'pain' ! :-)

My Video Problems :: View topic - Synchronise external and camera audio tracks.
Roger Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lee View Post
I think I should try this way.
Do you have a sample video clip on the web by any chance, using this setup?
Yes I have a clip from an actual wedding.

http://hottaky.com/hv20/kermit2.wma

You can hear the voice clearly from the officiant, bride and groom clearly. I always will touch up the clip by adjusting the treble in NLE.
__________________
LA Color Pros Blog
RODE Authorized Reseller . Comer LED Camera Lights . TakyBox HTML5 Menu Generator
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #11
New Boot
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norwalk, CA
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Yes I have a clip from an actual wedding.

http://hottaky.com/hv20/kermit2.wma

You can hear the voice clearly from the officiant, bride and groom clearly. I always will touch up the clip by adjusting the treble in NLE.
Thanks. I spent hours last night shopping for digital voice recorder. it's on its way. i bought Sony ICD-SX700 with Olympus ME-15.
Sean Lee is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network