DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   foam windshield with mkh 50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/235229-foam-windshield-mkh-50-a.html)

Vvicente Villaescusa May 12th, 2009 04:52 PM

foam windshield with mkh 50

I am getting a foam windshield for my MKH 50 but not sure what to get and if the diameters of the holes would be compatible with the diameter of the mkh 50...

Got some reserach as :

Georg Neumann GmbH - Products/Current Accessories/WS 100

Rycote - Smoothies

RODE WSM3 Windscreen for M3 Microphone at Performance Audio

Sennheiser MZW80 Black Foam Windscreen for MKH800 at Performance Audio

AKG W 407 Foam Windscreen for C 407 and C 417 Series at Performance Audio

Trew Audio - Mic Accessories - Windscreens - Schoeps W5D

Which one do you use? what are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Soucy May 13th, 2009 12:16 AM

Hi...........

Here's the one:

Sennheiser | MKH-50 Super-cardioid Condenser Mic | MKH50-P48

Scroll down to accessories.

Would thoroughly recommend not using a foam screen tho', do diddly squat but keep the end warmer.

Up your game and get a Rycote Softie for it.

Rycote - MKH 50

CS

Gary Nattrass May 13th, 2009 02:18 AM

Rode softie is a cheaper option.

Vvicente Villaescusa May 13th, 2009 06:10 AM

Thank you guys for your time and replies...

Chris, I have got the one you recommended (MZW-41 Foam Windscreen
), it came in the case with the mic but I found it almost pretty useless when swinging around with the boom pole. Dont know if the way I boom its very agressive or is just that I am not using it properly.

And sorry my english isnt great and dont know what you mean by: "do diddly squat but keep the end warmer", I understand you are saying that i using the foam I will cut out a bit of top end, but "do diddly squat..."

Which one of the softies do you mean? Can you give me a link to it please?
Thanks again

Vvicente Villaescusa May 13th, 2009 06:12 AM

Chris, You think a softie would be better than a foam windscreen>? Is that because it doesnt cut as much of top end?

Vicente Villaescusa

Paul R Johnson May 13th, 2009 06:27 AM

Softies are pretty good, and the only negative comment I have is that on longer mics, they are a bit front heavy, as the mic can only be helf from the tail end - and the one I used to have split the rubber on the pistol grip. Foam windshields are ok in light breeze - strong wind defeats them. The inside of softies is a much more open weave - if you feel it, it is like one of those plasticky saucepan scourers inside, and the hairs do work. If you need a cheaper option, then those Indian products on eBay are not too bad - certainly good value for money. I've got a zepplin style Sennheiser and the Indian semi-copy of the Rycotes, and although the Indian plastic is a little more plasticky (does that make sense), it's been pretty good and it seems pretty tough. Zepplin style windshields work better because of the internal air space. The foam style does attenuate the wind noise, but the problem is that if you gently scratch the outside, the vibration passes through to the mic as the foam is quite stiff. Heavy wind seems to do the same thing.

Stewart Menelaws May 13th, 2009 06:31 AM

Hi Vicente

We use a Rycote BBG (Baby Ball Gag) on our MKH50 – we had to make the hole a little bit wider so that the bottom half of the BBG could be slipped onto the bottom of the mic.

Here is a link to see some pics of one used on interviews.

http://www.studioscotland.com/hague.dolly_review.htm

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

John Willett May 14th, 2009 02:45 PM

You have various options:

Use the supplied windshield with a Rycote mini windjammer over it.

Use a Rycote Baby Ball Gag (LH variety).

There are also Rycote Smoothies and Softies to fit (again LH variety).

You could also use a Rycote S-series windshield, but this is quite large.