DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Help with buying new Shotgun Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/235294-help-buying-new-shotgun-mic.html)

John Saunders May 13th, 2009 01:48 PM

Help with buying new Shotgun Mic

We have three Audio Technica 897 shotgun mics ( Audio-Technica | AT897 - Short Condenser Shotgun | AT897 | B&H ) that we will be selling and buying one nice shotgun. I am looking at these:

Sennheiser 416
Sennheiser | MKH-416 - (P48) Short Shotgun Mic | MKH416-P48U3

Sanken CS1
Sanken | CS1 - Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone | CS-1 | B&H

Rode NTG-3
Rode | NTG-3 Precision RF-Biased Shotgun Microphone | NTG-3

So I was wondering if anyone has had any experiance with any of these mics. Any other recomendations are also welcome. Any comments would be helpful.

I know different mics are better for certian situations than others but I don't have a specific aplication that it's needed for just a good all around mic.

I would love to get the DPA 4017 ( DPA Microphones | 4017 Professional Short Shotgun | 4017 | B&H ) since I love the other DPA mics that we have but can't quite justify the price right now.

Thanks

Stuart Graham May 13th, 2009 03:53 PM

The Sanken CS-1 is reviewed here:

As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone

Chris Rackauckas May 13th, 2009 06:00 PM

Email'd you as I'm looking to buy at897s!

Nelson Alexandre May 13th, 2009 07:58 PM

I know that everybody looks to the same models when buying shotgun mics. That's got to be a good reason for that, and probably that's because all the mics you have mentioned are really good.

Nevertheless, On thing really strikes me everyday that someone wants to buy a shotgun, and that's why people don't even consider Beyerdynamic's MC 836!

Well... I can say that I have one and it really impresses me every time I use it, even when recording with a fellow mate using 416's and much pricier Shoeps.

To make it short, all that I can say is that a shotgun mic isn't intended to work on interiors (as many believe and do), and that MC 836's really excels on exterior recordings (what shotguns are made for).

I don't know what kind of work do you want to do with your new mic, but if it is voice recording you MUST try it out. I find it hard to beat at that price point but in the end, what matters most is your ears and that's why I believe that some will prefer one mic over another at the same price tag. On the other hand, Rode's NTG-3 is a really good mic and you save some dollars if buying it.

Steve Oakley May 13th, 2009 10:56 PM

the CS-1 is a short shotgun, and closer to a hyper in pickup. if you really need a very directional mic, look at the Sanken CS-3 which is very directional. it can pick a voice out clearly from a noisy environment very well, much better then the CS-1 when you can't get the mic in close. no its not a sound telescope, but it does work really well.

I just don't like the 416. I keep getting burned by that mic, and I find its thin sounding.

the CMIT5 might also get on your list, but its $2k.... but like they say, you get what you pay for. I have not regretted getting best of class mics, even when the money really hurt to part with. once you use them, and hear them in post, the money stops being an issue. if you find a cheaper mic sounds 90% as good for you application, great. the difference is the great mic tend to work better in more situations rather then fewer. YMMV

Resham Singh May 14th, 2009 10:47 AM

I have just bought the NTG3 today from digibroadcast for £401 after seeing this demo
YouTube - RODE NTG-3