Help with Sennheiser G2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Help with Sennheiser G2

Hi guys, i just bought this wireless kit and i am getting loud hiss with movement and i am also getting drop outs. I use this set to get music stright out of the board/mixer in concerts and events. i love the set cuz it gives me freedom of movement but is there is any way to prevent these problems. Thank you
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

G2 Video Tutorial (DVcreators)

A very quick search found lots of threads that might help you with setting up the G2 correctly ...but I'd start by watching this video tutorial. Note that reception works best when the transmitter and receiver are pointing in the same orientation.

sennheiser_wireless_movieframe.jpg
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Stupid question - but how far away from the desk are you - If you are using the sennheiser plug in transmitter, the aerial's in the housing, and if plugged into an xlr output from the desk may be totally surrounded by cables and maybe racks and other metalic structures - this will cut the signal strength right down. Couple this to the receiver with a standard 1/4 wave aerial and dropouts are quite likely. Remember you have no antenna diversity switching on a camera receiver. I tend to use an in-ear transmitter for this kind of thing with a remote aerial I can raise up above obstructions. What you could do is use an xlr cable to move the transmitter away, and tape it to a mic stand!

Nothing is a reliable as a bit of cable.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes there is a lot of speakers and wires. when we are doing sound check the signal is very strong. i sometime have it on top of the speakers to prevent obstructions. But still get dropouts like crazy. i also get loud hissing sound from time to time. I always use it with my Di box cuz i need mic level sound. thx
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #5

I was experiencing the same problems with my G2. After many attempts, I sent the units off to Sennheiser. They were returned in two weeks, after a $69 repair. Now they work flawlessly, no dropouts, always a strong RF signal. Not sure what was wrong, but, Senn fixed it.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Major Player

What transmitter are you using?

The plug-on SKP is designed for microphones and not line level.

If you are using the pocket SK then are you trying to plug the desk's line-out into the mic. socket?

On the pocket transmitter the mic. socket puts out about 5V to power a tie mic. and the mixer won't like it.

To connect the desk to the pocket transmitter you need to plug into the line-in. This means that you connect to the ring and sleeve only of the 3-pole mini-jack and leave the tip unconnected.

I hope this helps.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
I always use it with my Di box cuz i need mic level sound. thx
If you are putting mic. level into the pocket SK transmitter and are *not* using a tie mic. then you need to have a special cable made up.

The connection goes to the tip of the 3-pole mini-jack and the ring is shorted to sleeve.

But - and most important - you need to have a blocking capacitor in the line (normally in the XLR if you have an XLR at the other end) to prevent the 5V plug-in power going where it shouldn't.

I hope this helps.
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Major Player

John, Do you where i can get the mic tie and capacitor. thc
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Addendum to John's post

<To connect the desk to the pocket transmitter you need to plug into the line-in. This means that you connect to the ring and sleeve only of the 3-pole mini-jack and leave the tip unconnected.> ( or tip tied to shield ?)

The above "line level" configuration would be for -10dB input level. A pad would be needed for +4, as the transmitter's input stage would be overdriven. (not warm and fuzzy like a vacuum-tube guitar amp) Lowering the menu sensitivity volume would be futile.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Major Player

Sorry guys but i am getting more confused. i usually hook the mini plug all the way on the transmitter. I do this so it doesn't get disconnected. i always use it with my di box which has a pad. Can you explain what is a mic tie and where can i get it. thx
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Kiflom

Have a look at this thread which may help with how you are connecting the transmitter to the board:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...confusion.html

The jack plugged into the transmitter needs to be wired according to whether the signal is mic or line level.

It's tie mic, as in tieclip or lav mic, not mic tie.

N
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
John, Do you where i can get the mic tie and capacitor. thc
Your local Sennheiser Agent should be able to make it up for you - in your case Sennheiser USA.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I am also having trouble with my G2 system through its provided Lav mike.

Here is an AIFF audio sample (the G2 is the left channel, the right is one of an EX1's built-ins).

My levels are manually set, and quite low (is this wise, or should I try to use up the dynamic range even in quiet interviews that might later be edited with loud musical numbers?)

Notice the "tearing" that occurs on the G2 input.

My questions are simple, I guess:

1. should I be bringing the little clip-on receiver's output in as "microphone" or "line level" (the manual for the G2 indicates AF level settings that should pertain for one or the other, but I have not been able to get line level to work).

2. Should I be aiming to have higher levels during filming, and worry about level balancing in post?

3. the little metal mesh cap for the Lav mike was in place, and it was on the subject's collar. I now understand that it might do better lower on his body. Should I have a foam mesh on it as well?

4. I was appalled to see the G2 manual recommend a minimum of 5m between transmitter and receiver. I am usually at less than this. Is that really an issue? Would a too-near transmitter cause issues like this, or would they be far more serious to the ear?

If it helps, I should point out that I lack an offboard mixer and have simply been eyeballing manual on-camera input levels for audio

tone
Anthony Lovell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio