Sound Devices Preamps-MM1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Sound Devices Preamps-MM1

Hello,
has anyone used the MM1? Im looking to plug a 416p48 into this and out to the camera. Im planning to use only one mic for dialogue recording. Any advice before purchase?
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #2
Major Player

SD's products are built like tanks. Their peformance is legendary. I doubt you can go wrong.
(I've used their stuff, but never this particular model)
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Agreed. The only thing to consider is .. plan ahead for more mics.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Works fine, very fine indeed. Make sure your sound recordist does not sleep on the job and wears the cans always. The internal batteries on this and the MixPre pull down fairly soon if you are sending 48v out and can be overlooked if a crew shortage forces somebody to turn the sound loose to look after itself.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Major Player

since you cant send tone out of the mm1, how do you check levels against the camera?
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Are you planning on buying new and if so, isnīt that thing around $400? Before I would spend that much for one channel I would get a used MixPre which you can find for around $450 to $500...
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Major Player

I would agree. The Mix-Pre is one product I have used and it was awesome. Seriously consider this advice.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The MM1 is a fantastic product. If you can't afford a mixer then you can't afford to not have one of these things. It kind of saddens me to see people buying the Juicedlink over the MM1 frankly -- tragic mistake. Anyway, great as it is, the MM1 is not a mixer, so you don't calibrate it with the camera. That's why there no tone switch. Somebody is going to have to monitor at the camera.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hey Bob, can't say I agree with you on the battery issue, at least for the MM1. For me they last an eternity. In fact, I don't think I've ever had to change them out over the course of a single day. I can usually push them two or three days if I power it off during major downtimes.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Major Player

thanks for all the info guys. Its not so much a money issue but more of using less equipment.
I guess i cant have it all with lesser equipment. I had the 302 a long time ago and found myself using a boom pretty much all the time. Thats why i was considering the MM-1, i'll probably go for the mix pre but someone else mentioned the knobs are a little small to do mixing.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio