DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which wireless lav mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/236267-wireless-lav-mic.html)

Peter Chang May 28th, 2009 12:08 PM

Which wireless lav mic?

What's the best bang for the buck wireless lav out there? The Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 looks decent. They will be used primarily for interviews.

Paul R Johnson May 28th, 2009 12:24 PM

The G2 is a decent enough system, especially if you swap the mics from the rather large ones it ships with to something a little more descrete. The new G3 series also looks worth a look, but they're a little too new for many of us to have worked with them yet.

Jon Fairhurst May 28th, 2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Chang (Post 1149766)
What's the best bang for the buck wireless lav out there? The Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 looks decent. They will be used primarily for interviews.

We have that system at work for live events. It's quite good. I'd use it for video. We used to use a Shure SLX system, which was definitely not good enough for video and marginal for a PA system. (Too much hiss, no high end signal.)

Peter Chang May 28th, 2009 12:57 PM

How about Sonys?
556-662MHz... which is probably not very future-proof?

Peer Landa May 28th, 2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Chang (Post 1149766)

I had a couple of Azden 200UPR Dual-Channel UHF for my Canon XL2 that worked very well for documentary/interviews etc. Those lavs can be seen in this silly Youtube clip: YouTube - My big rig camera... and my scalloped guitar... and my workout routine

-- peer

Ryan Mueller May 29th, 2009 08:11 AM

I have been working with the 100 series G2s for some time now and am extremely pleased. The mic that comes with the ENG kit that comes with the brick is different than the one that comes without the brick. Don't know why, but it is. The one that comes with the brick is much better in terms of build quality, audio clarity, and is much smaller to boot.

Dylan Couper May 29th, 2009 08:16 AM

Moved from the 5D2 thread to the All Things Audio thread... I think you'll have more responses here. :)

I'll vote for the Sennheiser G2 as well, got both of mine from DVestore and have been very happy with them.
Sennheiser Mics at DVcreators.net
They also have some great tutorials on how to use them, which will give you a nice intro to it before you buy.

Dan Chung May 29th, 2009 08:18 AM

Peter,

I have bit the Sennheiser ew112pG2 and Sony UWP radio mic kits. My preference, if you can afford it, would be to go with the new Sony UWP-V1. The Sony's diversity antenna's and headphone monitoring give it the edge over the Sennheiser, although the units are slightly larger. The only time I use the Sennheisers is when I'm being really discreet.

Dan

John Willett May 29th, 2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1150270)
Peter,

I have bit the Sennheiser ew112pG2 and Sony UWP radio mic kits. My preference, if you can afford it, would be to go with the new Sony UWP-V1. The Sony's diversity antenna's and headphone monitoring give it the edge over the Sennheiser, although the units are slightly larger. The only time I use the Sennheisers is when I'm being really discreet.

Dan

Don't forget that G2 is now going and G3 is coming - and the new G3 camera receiver *is* diversity. G3 has a wide 42MHz switching range as well.

The 2000 series camera receiver (ie: top end G3) does have headphone monitoring as well as well as a massive 75MHz switching range.