microphone while walking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

microphone while walking

Hello,
I need to record an interview while walking with my Zoom H2. And I'ld be happy if I don't have to hold a mic in my hand. So something wireless on the collar of our blouses. Is this possible?
Rob
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The easiest (cheapest way) is to connect two wired lavalier microphones (via an Y adapter into the 3.5 mm microphone input. You have to stay close to the one interviewed, because of the length of te cable. You could also work with a wireless lavalier system, and connect the receiver(s) tot the line-input of the Zoom.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That might just work.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Trustee

TEST THIS SCENARIO BEFORE YOU TRY IT ON A PAID GIG!

Splitting an already very low level mic signal mechanically might lower the result to the point where the mic inputs on the ZOOM don't have enough clean gain available to boost the resulting signal up to the level the recording system wants to see - at least without significant amplifier noise (hiss.)

Better would be to run each mic into a small battery powered portable mixer and run the output of this into the ZOOM. Yes, it costs more and is more complicated. It's also the technically correct way to feed two mics into one input without increasing noise.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I see that I was not really clear. The Zoom has a stereo mic input. With a Y cable I mean a cable that has a 3,5 mm stereo jack on the one side and two mono plugs on the other side. This way you record the interviewer on the left channel and the interviewee on the right (or the other way around. Of course the use of a mixer would be possible and even advisable.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was experimenting with the suggested setups: a stereo splitter as well as a mono splitter, as well as a single lavellier. The results in all cases were very disappointing on the Zoom H2. Signal to weak or noise to high, whatever setting.

I need something else and I don't want to work with a mixer. I decided to use two recorders, both with a lavalier and I synchronize in post. BUT what recorder of what brand will do what I hope: a loud enough signal and not too much noise. The H4 or H4n or another brand thing???

Who has experience with a (self powered) lavalier on any voice recorder?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio