Octava MK-012 Microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 6th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Octava MK-012 Microphone

I have it mounted on my Sony Z1U and it works fine when wired into the camera, which supplies phantom power, but it won't work with my Audio Technica Wireless transmitter. I assume the reason is that the wireless transmitter doesn't provide phantom power.
Two questions:
1. Do any wireless transmitters provide phantom power?
2. Why does my Dynamic microphone that isn't battery powered can work without phantom power and works just fine with the wireless transmitter?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I have it mounted on my Sony Z1U and it works fine when wired into the camera, which supplies phantom power, but it won't work with my Audio Technica Wireless transmitter. I assume the reason is that the wireless transmitter doesn't provide phantom power.
Two questions:
1. Do any wireless transmitters provide phantom power?
2. Why does my Dynamic microphone that isn't battery powered can work without phantom power and works just fine with the wireless transmitter?
Some plug-on trnsmitters provide phantom, others do not. The Sennheiser SKP100 doesn't but their SKP500 does, for example.

Dynamic mics and condensor mics use two entirely different principles of operation. The dynamic mic is a mini-generator. The vibration of the diaphram causes a coil to move in a magnetic field, generating an electric current in the process, which is sent straight to the recording preamplifier. It works just like a loudspeaker, only in reverse. Condensor mics rely on two charged plates moving with respect to each other changing the conductance of a circuit in some designs, modulating a superimposed AC current in others. This means there needs to be a source of electrical power to charge the plates and also to provide power to operate the internal pre-amp and impedence matching circuitry that makes it all go. Phantom power is one way of fulfilling this power requirement. Battery is another. T-power is yet another.

Phantom is a particular scheme used to provide the necessary voltage for a condensor mic over an XLR connection while making it invisible if you accidently connect a dynamic or ribbon mic to it. Ribbon mics are particularly susceptible to damage if you accidently put a voltage across their output terminals. Wireless transmitters usually provide sufficient power to operate a condensor lav mic attached to them but that "mic power" uses a totally different connection scheme and voltage from phantom. The bodypack transmitters provide about 5 volts mic power, sufficient for a typical lav, but that's quite different from 48v phantom.
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

thx for the explanation. makes perfect sense now.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio