DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NTG-3 + Sennheiser SKP 500 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/237175-rode-ntg-3-sennheiser-skp-500-a.html)

David Dalton June 11th, 2009 10:46 AM

Rode NTG-3 + Sennheiser SKP 500

Is anyone using this combination? I have the NTG-3 and as the SKP 500 (old version) is going cheap, I thought it would be a good way to get a wireless shotgun.

Edward Carlson June 11th, 2009 01:59 PM

I'm using the NTG-2 and SKP-500. Works like a champ.

Andy Wilkinson June 11th, 2009 03:26 PM

I have both NTG-3 and SKP-500. Whilst the NTG-3 is a stunning mike it's not that "hot" and this seems to be pretty noticeable when connected to the SKP-500 - maybe I missed something in the SKP's settings....but I don't think so as I've noticed this when it's plugged directly into my EX3 or Fostex FR2-LE (and I use Senny G2's successfully all the time so I'm pretty familar with how to set them up well). That was my experience a while ago (when the NTG-3 first came out here in the UK last July) and I've not tried this combination since. It's good to hear someone has got a NTG-2 to work well, but I'm not sure if the NTG-3 is as hot.

With such a good mic as the NTG-3 it's a bit of a shame (IMHO) to loose some fidelity/risk issues by going via wireless - I use my NTG-3 all the time hard wired now (usually on a boom stand over a talking head - corporate stuff etc.).

I bought a Sennheiser e835 mic (about £50) to work with my SKP-500 and that works really well directly plugged into the SKP-500, nice and hot. However, this combination is a bit heavy and awkward for talent to hold "reporter style". What I find (from limited experience so far, I confess) is that the e835 is easier for the talent to use with a 1 Meter XLR cable plugged into it. That way the SKP-500 sits in it's holder clipped on the belt of the person holding the mike and it's then much easier/lighter for them to hold the mic to their face/point it at someone they are questioning on the hoof (as the e835 is pretty directional/off-axis gives quite a drop off). Also, this looks neater from the camera!

I'll certainly make some time to try the SKP500/NTG-3 combo again soon though!

Allan Black June 11th, 2009 07:10 PM

The NTG-3 is a high performance RF biased shotgun, it consumes 4.3 mA (P48V) whereas the SKP 500 manual states that it can only supply 2 mA (P48V).

So the NTG-3 power requirement is higher than what the SKP 500 is able to supply.

You could use a suitable battery powered phantom power supply to supply power to the NTG-3 on location.

A side benefit in doing this is that it would considerably extend the battery life of your SKP 500 transmitter.

Cheers.

Andy Wilkinson June 12th, 2009 06:07 AM

Ah, so that's why the NTG-3 and SKP-500 combination did not work very well for me! Thanks Allan for clarifying this.

David Dalton June 12th, 2009 11:20 AM

Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions. It's for an outside event where I won't be able to get very close to the dignitaries with a camera but can get someone close to hold a mike. With lots of people about I don't want cables. I'll have another think on how to spend my money.

Allan Black June 12th, 2009 08:32 PM

Hi Andy more info here, worth checking out the Cautions bit.

Phantom power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David, the NTG-3 shotgun is the wrong mic to hand hold in that crowded situation. I use a Shure SM58 cardioid mic feeding a Sony UTX-B1 and URX-P1 wireless kit.

That works very well and you may be able to rent a rig or something very similar for the day.

Cheers.

David Dalton June 13th, 2009 03:14 AM

Hi Allan

An interesting article - just shows how careful you have to be. And thanks for your suggestion for my application.

David