Rode NTG-3 + Sennheiser SKP 500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode NTG-3 + Sennheiser SKP 500

Is anyone using this combination? I have the NTG-3 and as the SKP 500 (old version) is going cheap, I thought it would be a good way to get a wireless shotgun.
David Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm using the NTG-2 and SKP-500. Works like a champ.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have both NTG-3 and SKP-500. Whilst the NTG-3 is a stunning mike it's not that "hot" and this seems to be pretty noticeable when connected to the SKP-500 - maybe I missed something in the SKP's settings....but I don't think so as I've noticed this when it's plugged directly into my EX3 or Fostex FR2-LE (and I use Senny G2's successfully all the time so I'm pretty familar with how to set them up well). That was my experience a while ago (when the NTG-3 first came out here in the UK last July) and I've not tried this combination since. It's good to hear someone has got a NTG-2 to work well, but I'm not sure if the NTG-3 is as hot.

With such a good mic as the NTG-3 it's a bit of a shame (IMHO) to loose some fidelity/risk issues by going via wireless - I use my NTG-3 all the time hard wired now (usually on a boom stand over a talking head - corporate stuff etc.).

I bought a Sennheiser e835 mic (about £50) to work with my SKP-500 and that works really well directly plugged into the SKP-500, nice and hot. However, this combination is a bit heavy and awkward for talent to hold "reporter style". What I find (from limited experience so far, I confess) is that the e835 is easier for the talent to use with a 1 Meter XLR cable plugged into it. That way the SKP-500 sits in it's holder clipped on the belt of the person holding the mike and it's then much easier/lighter for them to hold the mic to their face/point it at someone they are questioning on the hoof (as the e835 is pretty directional/off-axis gives quite a drop off). Also, this looks neater from the camera!

I'll certainly make some time to try the SKP500/NTG-3 combo again soon though!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; June 12th, 2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: spotted some typos
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The NTG-3 is a high performance RF biased shotgun, it consumes 4.3 mA (P48V) whereas the SKP 500 manual states that it can only supply 2 mA (P48V).

So the NTG-3 power requirement is higher than what the SKP 500 is able to supply.

You could use a suitable battery powered phantom power supply to supply power to the NTG-3 on location.

A side benefit in doing this is that it would considerably extend the battery life of your SKP 500 transmitter.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Ah, so that's why the NTG-3 and SKP-500 combination did not work very well for me! Thanks Allan for clarifying this.
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions. It's for an outside event where I won't be able to get very close to the dignitaries with a camera but can get someone close to hold a mike. With lots of people about I don't want cables. I'll have another think on how to spend my money.
David Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Andy more info here, worth checking out the Cautions bit.

Phantom power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David, the NTG-3 shotgun is the wrong mic to hand hold in that crowded situation. I use a Shure SM58 cardioid mic feeding a Sony UTX-B1 and URX-P1 wireless kit.

That works very well and you may be able to rent a rig or something very similar for the day.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Allan

An interesting article - just shows how careful you have to be. And thanks for your suggestion for my application.

David
David Dalton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio