Best Boom Microphone - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 1st, 2004, 07:53 PM   #16
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
"If you don't know Ed Greene, you don't know audio..." How about "If you don't know Ed Greene, you don't know broadcast audio engineers. Ummm....If you don't know Gungi Patterson, you don't know concert audio, but just in passing, I asked Gungi if he knew Ed Greene. He doesn't.

Ed Greene is certainly great. He mixed me during the Olympics here in SLC.

Douglas

Who hasn't won 6 Emmys but has been nominated for 26 Emmys, 9 Grammys, parts of 3 Oscars, yadayadayada. The gold is meaningless....

They're just small recognitions we get because for a brief moment, we did something that someone noticed.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:11 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St.Thomas, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 428
Holy, this seemed to drift a bit off topic.

To answer some questions, 70% of the filming will be outdoors, the other 30% will be in an abandoned building. There will be no AC power, so everything will have to be battery powered.

This is a short - no budget - film. I was just asking what the best microphone would be for the entire project.

Maybe I should have asked, best boom microphone overall, or something.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys.
Jeff Toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:45 PM   #18
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
Jeff, if you are low on budget, there are any number of used mic's available on Ebay. If you are really tight, for around 50.00 or so you can buy an ATR 55, which isn't a great mic, but for the price it's a really good mic. Canon also has an inexpensive shotgun-type mic that many folks are enjoying.
The biggest thing is getting mic's as close to talent as you can get them. The next biggest thing is finding a mic that will allow exteriors and interiors to sound as similar as possible. Unfortunately, this isn't easy to do on a budget. I'd get a mic you can afford that's a boom style or even a sensitive handheld condenser, and experiment with it well before the shoot to find what you can and can't accomplish with it. You might be able to rent an 897 somewhere as well, that's a great mid-level shotgun that can also do quite well at short distances.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network