Rycote: S-Series vs. Full Windshield Kits (I'm on a boat) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Rycote: S-Series vs. Full Windshield Kits (I'm on a boat)

Hi,

I've just been using a Rycote "softie" with my Sanken CS-1 for a while now, but it's now time to upgrade. I'm going to be doing a shoot on a cruise ship (around the mediterannean sea), so I wanted to get some more wind protection.

I'm looking at either getting the Rycote S300 kit or the Rycote Modular Windshield Kit 3; and just wanted to hear some experienced opinions on both products. I've heard the S300 doesn't give quite as much wind protection as the full windshield kit. But, on the other hand, the S-Series is cheaper and extremely adaptable; for example, eventually when I want to purchase a longer shotgun microphone, it's an easier upgrade...

Therefore, I like the flexibility (and price!) of the S-Series, but will it be enough wind protection for the sea? The video crew have advised me that it's not THAT windy there. But I don't want to be stuck in a situation where the wind gods are shitting on my audio.
Tyler Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd take the full windshield kit in case, easy to reach in the cabin.

I shot promo stuff on cruise ship with Bert Newton around Fiji and while a lot were inside, any deckside could easily be repositioned or screened off from any wind.

Cruise clients don't want to *see* any wind.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If this is a run 'n gun shoot, then the softie makes probably more sense. The full windshield delivers 'better' sound but has not only much more weight but is also somewhat vulnerable......they're easily damaged! The softie is good enough - I would take a softie for this kind of a job.
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Trustee

I would bring both and hope I could get away with the Softie but the full kits work in much higher wind than the Softie which is only good for mild breezes.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Forget the Softie unless you are using it for on-camera work.

The S-series is about the same price as the Softie, but has a similar quality to the Basket windshield kit.

The Basket windshield kits now come complete with the ConnBox and patented "Lyre" suspensions (similar suspensions to the S-series) - the Windjammer for the Basket windshield has longer hair than the S-series (and Softie) and will therefore have slightly better wind protection.

The choice between S-series and basket windshield kit normally comes down to what mic. you have as the Basket windshield kit is about 60% more than an S-series.

If you are using a mic. such as a K6+ME66 or NTG 2 or 3, then an S-series would normally be the choice.

If you are using a mic. such as an MKH 416, 418S, MKH 60 or a CMiT, then you are more likely wanting a full Basket windshield kit for these more expensive mics.

I hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio