Audio in HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio in HD

I posted several weeks ago about an audio issue I was having. I decided to test while filming in HD, the audio problem went away. I have a JVCHD 100Ua and I am suspecting that this means I have a head issue. I do not understand why the audio is crystal clear with no cliches in HD. Is my only option to send this off, I am in the middle of three projects. If I continue to film in HD am I doing more damage or can I finish up my projects and then send it on? Any ideas? Help.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Suzanne...........

Can't quite follow the logic of the "SD sound bad, HD sound good = Head (tho' I'm not entirely sure whether you're refering to the camera or yourself) diagnosis, unless there's something specific to that camera I'm not aware of.

If the camera read/ write head was dodgy, then it would be infinately worse in HD than SD, so think you can forget that one.

If it's as simple as the equation above I would have to suspect a setting mismatch of some sort, tho' as my detailed knowledge of that particular camera would go on the back of a postage stamp in very large letters, I can't offer any assistance as to what setting(s), where, could be the problem.

If the SD sound is bad when reviewed on the camera AND the NLE, then the settings are definately camera based, if it ONLY shows up on the NLE then.....well, you can work that one out.

If it is a setting issue then I cannot see any reason to send the camera off, period. And no, you ain't doing any damage.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I am thinking it is my head (not the cameras) that has the issue. I will go back over the settings, very frustrating. The sound is bad reviewd on the camera and in NLE. In HD the audio is great but every once in a while a small chunk of footage will break into several small clips. To be more precise a 30 second clip broke down to about 20 slices when transfered. Thank you for your thoughts.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ah.............

The 30 second clip breaking into 20 slices I've seen before.

Happened with my XL1s. Adobie PE 3 hit a dropout during an ingest and freaked.

Turned the rest of the (very long) clip into 1 frame length stills, bloody thousands of them!

The sound, as you can imagine, was toast!

I said something like "bother", ran a cleaning tape through the cam and tried again.

Took me three goes but got it in the end.

Could be you have a tape head problem after all - try a cleaning tape.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help I am going to go run a few tests and I will run the cleaning tape first. I have been saying "bother" a lot in the last few weeks. Cheers.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio