DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Adding a handheld radio mic - what would you choose? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/237490-adding-handheld-radio-mic-what-would-you-choose.html)

Paul Gale June 17th, 2009 06:58 AM

Adding a handheld radio mic - what would you choose?

I'm just thinking of adding a fairly cheap handheld ENG/EFP style mic to complement my kit (a lot of it! including several lavs wired and wireless and shotguns etc). I'm soon to get another wireless system to work with a new EX3 - the Sony UWP-V6 kit that has a plug-on transmitter.

I was pondering between the Beyerdynamic M58 and M59. The M58 is an omni and the M59 is directional I believe.

The situation it would be used in would most likely be the odd conference (passed around for Q+A sessions) and also more often used by a (non-audio trained) interviewer working with me in a run and gun situation, often with small groups of kids - maybe huddled around a PC etc. There sometimes is background noise in that classroom situation.

So what would you choose - an omni or more directional mic? Or something else that will work with the Sony plug-on?

Cheers,

Paul.

Brooks Harrington June 17th, 2009 08:55 AM

I think you know the answer already.. untrained interviewer get the omni.
Beyer M58
EV RE50
Senn MD42

Small group of kids passing around the mic? RE50!

Heard good about the M58 but it looks funny.. looks are so important these days..! LOL

MD42 might have the highest output.

I think Shure makes one...can't remember model.

Battle Vaughan June 17th, 2009 09:07 AM

FWIW, We use the EV Re50, which is the defacto standard for tv stations hereabouts; built like a brick, reasonably sensitive for a dynamic, good price. / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Paul Gale June 17th, 2009 09:19 AM

Thanks guys,

The RE50 looks interesting - I see there's an RE50N variant too that has a different (improved?) shock mounting system.

Anyone used this version? It's actually cheaper on the UK sites I'm viewing.

Cheers.

Battle Vaughan June 17th, 2009 09:29 AM

I believe the N version is the same construction but uses a neoydmium magnet for somewhat higher output than the standard capsule...not a bad thing, it's costlier here...!/bvaughan

Paul Gale June 17th, 2009 09:59 AM

OK thanks.

I'm getting the same price as US but in pounds! Rip off yet again on UK pricing!!!

Have ordered the N :)

John Willett June 18th, 2009 06:23 AM

For interviews an omni is always the best choice.

Paul R Johnson June 18th, 2009 08:23 AM

And the M58 has a nice long handle. To my ears it's also a pretty neutral mic, and being omni stops all those problems when untrained people wave them around, always 5 seconds too late.

If you hate the look, how about one of the foam advertising type covers?

John Willett June 18th, 2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1160128)
And the M58 has a nice long handle.

So has the MD 42 (and MD 46 if you want cardioid)

Paul Gale June 18th, 2009 03:11 PM

Thanks everyone,

I get a RE50N tomorrow, so should be sorted.

Cheers,

Paul.

Guy Cochran June 18th, 2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1160090)
For interviews an omni is always the best choice.

Except in high noise environments. NBC Olympics Chooses Sennheiser Mics to Cover 2004 Games in Athens

Pete Cofrancesco June 18th, 2009 04:46 PM

I own the RE50N, does a great job eliminating hand noise of ppl who twist and move their hands on the mic while talking.

Don't make the mistake of using it for anything but close up for voice. Because of its "high sensitivity and low noise" I tried using it for dual purpose, mounting it on my camera with 10 xlr cable that I could quickly detach for run and gun interviews. Mistake! It performs like any other dynamic mic and sounds like utter crap when not used close up for voice.

I used to use a wireless base transmitter but I'm moving back to a 10' wired xlr. No batteries to worry about, less equipment to pack and set up, no extra weight on the camera, or wireless interference to monitor.

Guy Cochran June 18th, 2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1160423)
I own the RE50N, does a great job eliminating hand noise of kids and adults who twist and move their hands on the mic while talking.

Hi Pete,

Along with one of the sound engineers for one of America's top game shows, we tested out the RE50 vs. the Sennheiser MD46. I was surprised at how great the RE50 did with regards to handling noise. With the RE50 in hand with a loose grip I could readjust my grip, squeeze and not hear any handling sound, so I flicked the body, nothin' on the RE50, now on the MD46 you can hear the sound travel through while adjusting your hand (sounds like someone washing the windows), and a loud thump when flicked. So, RE50 great for inexperienced reporters, MD46 great for or announcers in a live venue and reporters with experience or with an in ear monitor.

Rick Reineke June 18th, 2009 06:52 PM

Yes indeed, the RE-50 is the defacto TV reporters mic. .. at least on this side of the pond. More on-screen time than Seinfeld re-runs. and deservedly so.

Jimmy Tuffrey June 19th, 2009 03:10 AM

the re50 seems to be the most famous but in my experience the Beyer M58 is more useful and personally it's the one I usually hand to world cup winning footbalers for in vision shots as it has a longer handle for mic flags and as a sound engineer the longer handle gets the mic closer. After all you cant make people hold the mic up close, they either do or dont once your live so giving them a mic that encourages them to helps.