KM184 vs AT4051A for guitar/percussion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

KM184 vs AT4051A for guitar/percussion

I'm starting to film musicians (mostly guitars and percussion) and I want to do a better job with the audio. I'd be working in informal settings indoors, sometimes placing the mics up close and sometimes recording a group with a stereo pair. I'm currently using Oktava MK-012s with the super-cardioid caps but I'm looking at a pair of used Neumann KM184s I can get for $400. each. Another alternative would be to get AT-4051a mics, which would allow me to swap out a cardioid capsule for a super-cardioid and also boom it for dialog. The AT-4051a gets a really positive review in an emusician shootout of small condensor mics, but I'm not sure how much weight to give the review. You can find it here: Smokin' Condensers - A roundup of seven small-diaphragm cardiod-pattern condenser microphones . I can get the AT4051a new for $300. plus add a supercardioid cap for $200., so it makes it a better deal... Any advice appreciated!

-JP
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Major Player

mics

Go with the KM184, that is a great deal, if not tell me where to buy them...lol
you can never go wrong with KM184s that is a GREAT deal you found on them, and those guys are worth every penny even at their retail price , even if they are 10 or 20 yr old. allways worth owning quality.

Besides you allready have the Oktavas for your hyper work.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Gerry, thanks for the nudge. I figured it was a really good deal but I'm trying hard not to let myself get seduced - I hate to admit it but it just would be so cool to own a couple of KM184s... What the hell, it's Father's Day, I should just go for it, right?
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

the km 184 are a little bright, but if you like that, then fine. The km 84, now discontinued, are a little more natural sounding, if you can find them in good working order.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Turns out I was able to get the pair for $680. delivered so I pulled the trigger and they should be here tomorrow. Thanks Gerry and Ty for your help - much appreciated!

-JP
Old June 26th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Km 184

Lucky #^%$ ..... You'll never regret that decision..

Enjoy my friend.

Now youll be one of the lucky ones that can say "oh.. thats why they'r so expensive, and everyone wishes they had them" .
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio