Low Volume on AT 897 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Low Volume on AT 897

Hey Kids...

I am running a brand new AT 897 through a Beachtek DXA-6VU into a SOny VX2100. I get sound but I have to crank everything up on the Beachtek (10) and the Camera (at about 65/70%) to get what seems like reasonable volume.

I just ran the Lav mic (Sennheiser G2) into the Breachtek and it seemed like I had too much volume dialed in...so it appears something is happening with the 897

Just seem like I have everything dialed way to high to get the volume I am getting on the 897. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Just a thought, do you have the channel the 897 is plugged into set to line level input? Should be mike level....is Phantom power on? / B. Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes to both...
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Trustee

OK, if you are on mike level input and your Beechtec battery is fresh (it's good for only 3 hours of use with the phantom power on) the next suspect would probably be the XLR cable from the mike to the input. We have had problems with Beechtecs breaking their output cable and losing a channel, but yours is new and works with the Senny mike so that's probably not it...it's always possible to have a bad mike, have you tried it into another device to see if it's working properly? AT987 is a nice mike and I've never had a bad AT mike, but anything's possible...BV PS:
Another thing to know is the Beechteck doesn't amplify-- cranked all the way up is unity gain, that is, no attenuation of the mike output. So you may be getting a normal mike level. If you have a Senny G2 wireless receiver plugged in (which is what I assume you mean by the G2 lav) it may seem much louder as the AF gain from the receiver is fairly hot as it comes from the factory, it usually needs setting to a -10 or so to balance with other mike level inputs. So it's possible your 897 is working fine and just seems weak in comparision to an amplified output from your wireless...another thought.../ BV
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input...

I may be so used to the Senny that the AT does indeed sound weak by comparison.
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio