mic recommendations for loud venues - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #16
Trustee

Thanks for the feedback! I looked at the tracks from your ntg2_test and akg_test files and it looks, as you would expect from what is primarily an instrument mike, the AKG has a more responsive diaphragm, which would probably make it brighter than the Rode, and thus the Rode a happier fit with a male voice, just subjectively.

I attach a sample from the very first part of the clips....you can see what I'm talking about, I think, although I'm not sure how the normalization may have affected the results...

btw, the diaphragm on instrument mikes is usually right up front, if you use it as a vocal mike be sure to use a windscreen to keep breath moisture out of it, condenser mikes hate that....best wishes / Battle Vaughan
Attached Thumbnails
mic recommendations for loud venues-mike-test.jpg  
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #17
Trustee

Hey Battle,

Quote:
which would probably make it brighter than the Rode, and thus the Rode a happier fit with a male voice, just subjectively.
Actually, I found the Rode to be brighter. Or at least to reproduce my voice better. But I'm far from being a good audio guy, so I'm not the most accurate listener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
I attach a sample from the very first part of the clips....you can see what I'm talking about
Am I looking at the amplitude of the response in your graph? That is, the small variations in the line? As you say, looks greater in the AKG.

Quote:
btw, the diaphragm on instrument mikes is usually right up front, if you use it as a vocal mike be sure to use a windscreen to keep breath moisture out of it, condenser mikes hate that....best wishes / Battle Vaughan
Thanks, I'll remember that. I did notice the AKG being much more senstive to popping in my little test.

Anyway, I sure learned a lot from this experience. Thanks for all your help, and for taking the time to listen, etc.

Cheers!
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Trustee

Yes, regular waveform with amplitude vs. time....this is Audacity, a free audio program for windoze and Mac, which is worth having; I have Soundtrack Pro, Soundforge 9 and Soundbooth and I still use this open-source jobbie all the time...Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Hope this works out for you, I enjoyed hearing your tracks. Hope you invest in some good earplugs for those loud venues...:) / Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
Hope you invest in some good earplugs for those loud venues...:)
Tell me about it. I bought a pair of in-ear headphones that reduce by about 30db what comes in your ears, and lets me monitor at the same time. They're a lifesaver.
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Vito, you can take it to the next level by wearing noise-cancellation headphones over your in-ears. Don't give them a signal, just let them reduce the ambient sounds even further. Just shop for good cancellation; since you won't feed them a signal, you don't have to worry about sound quality.
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Trustee

Thanks, Jon.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #22
Major Player

Just for information purposes, I bought a Shure SM57, put a Sennheiser tranmitter on it and stuck it on a mic stand by the DJ speaker and it sounded awesome. It wasn't in my typical loud environment but it was close.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio