DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   I need a wireless mic for my XL2 and A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/238083-i-need-wireless-mic-my-xl2-a1.html)

Guy Godwin June 27th, 2009 02:31 PM

I need a wireless mic for my XL2 and A1

Do you guys recommend a wireless mic that can be used on my XL2 and A1? I don't need the sound quality to be much better but I would like it to exceed what I got.

Any recommendations?

Gabor Heeres June 27th, 2009 02:59 PM

A lav mic or a reporters mic? What budget?

Guy Godwin June 30th, 2009 08:10 PM

Not sure...I guess a Lav Mic or something that I could just put up around a crowd and get background noise or on a person and get the surronding noise.

Budget? Not really sure what they cost? As long as I get a good value and good quality it really does not matter the cost. (It is all relevant as far as I am concerned)

Nathan Gifford July 4th, 2009 10:19 AM

Sennheiser Evolutions are always pretty nice. Their price is around $500, but are pretty hard to beat.

Jon Goodman July 4th, 2009 02:49 PM

When I had an XL2 I was using Lectrosonics wireless. No problems, good sound. I replaced the stock mics with sanken cos 11's to get great sound.
Cheers
Jon

Tony Davies-Patrick July 5th, 2009 03:40 PM

I prefer to use the Sony WRT-805 & Sony WRR-805 combined with the ECM-77 mic - a superb pro-grade radio mic system, and I can reccomend them completely, having now owned 8-different systems and all performed flawlessly.

The Sony WRT-822 system is also very good, but like the WRT/WRR 805 kit, it can be expensive.

The Sony UTX-B1/URX P1 kit is pretty good and can be found at a lot cheaper price secondhand than the WRT system, but not so good at distance and build quality.

The latest Sony UWP V6/67 system is also good, or go for the cheaper UWP models if your on a tighter budget.

Guy Godwin July 5th, 2009 07:48 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will look into these and them come back with more questions.
Thanks!

Guy Godwin July 22nd, 2009 06:47 PM

Do I need to buy everything seperate or are there kits available with every thing I need?

Steve House July 23rd, 2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 1175227)
Do I need to buy everything seperate or are there kits available with every thing I need?

You can get all-inclusive kits from the major manufacturers like Sennheiser that would include mic, transmitter, receiver, and cables. A lot of people like to replace the mic with a higher quality unit but the 'stock' mics are servicable,

From your earlier post, know that lavs are usually NOT the mic of choice for collecting general ambient sounds. They're designed to be worn close to the talent's mouth on the their chest or lapel and by virtue of their proximity pick up the speaker must more clearly than the surroundings, just the opposite of what you're post said you wanted to do by "put up around a crowd and get background noise or on a person and get the surronding noise."

You said you "want better than what you have" but you didn't say what it is that you presently have. What exactly are you shooting, where are you shooting it, under what conditions, and what precise problems are you getting with your present setup that you're trying to solve with the upgraded gear? More information means we can give you better help.

Marco Leavitt August 11th, 2009 11:02 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that too. What kind of system do you have now? You might start with replacing the mic. With any of the budget system (including and especially the G2) you'd have to do that anyway. The XL2 is one of easiest cameras to mount a receiver to by the way. Just put on the stock backplate and velcro that sucker on there. The AT1800 system dual receiver is great for this, and it gives you a lot of flexibility in assigning tracks. It also helps balance the camera too. I put on there even when I'm not using wireless because it is so much more comfortable when shoulder mounted.