DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Zoom H4n - Technical Issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/238171-zoom-h4n-technical-issue.html)

Douglas Joseph June 29th, 2009 02:51 PM

Zoom H4n - Technical Issue

hey, guys! it's my first time here over in audio land... woo. greeetings! so, i've been fooling around with the h4n, and i've run into some problems. i was gonna see if i could get some input from you guys, if you're not too busy. i'm recording with a me66 shotgun mic in 4channel mode. i can hear the audio from the headphones, but only the audio from the stereo mics on the h4n. i can't hear the audio in my headphones from my shotgun mic. i'm recording in 4 channel mode, however i'm only recording audio from the steromics on the zoom and not my shotgun mic. BUT... the levels are showing up for line 1, which is strange. it's just a bunch of static. i'd like to be able to monitor it, and adjust the levels... do you know if this is possible, or if i'm even using the right set up? i'm NOT an audio guy, at all. so yeah... why am i not able to record with a separate mic. and secondly, is it possible to listen to the audio from a separate mic. i'm guessing i have to change something in the menu, i have no idea what to change. i've leafed through the menu over and over with no luck. thanks a lot in advance. take it eassssssy.

Seth Bloombaum June 29th, 2009 03:07 PM

Even with the new more friendly menu structure of the menues on the H4n, 4ch. recording is an advanced operation. The manual covers 4-ch at p.53-54.

Are you getting a 4ch. recording? Do you see the meters for both the built-in mics and your me66 deflecting with sound? Are your record levels properly setup?

Is it possible that your me66 is requiring phantom power, and that you've not turned on phantom on the recorder?

Michael Liebergot June 29th, 2009 06:22 PM

First off the H4n will only send a mixed down headphone/line signal from the 1/8 out port.
As what was said, were you sure that you were in 4-channel mode, as you would most definitely hear all of your channels mixed down to a stereo signal from your headphone out.

I know this because I have tested this with the onboard mics and a pair of cardioid mics. Then using both methods of headphone to monitor , or line out to send a wireless signal to my camera.

Douglas Joseph July 1st, 2009 12:57 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses... I think the issue is the shotgun mic itself. I took the battery out, and tried to use just phantom power. I went to menu - input - phantom on - +48v. Plugged the mic into the xlr input 1. The mic isn't getting phantom power. Am I doing this correct? I'm gonna do some more test... Gosh, this is annoying.

Douglas Joseph July 6th, 2009 02:54 PM

I finally figured it out! The only way my shotgun mic records audio is if I plug it into the back of the zoom. It records only in mono. I can't record with the the zooms stereo mics when I plug it into the back... Is it possible to record with the shotgun mic and the zoom's mics? At least I know now I can record with my shotgun... Thanks, guys!