DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   need to maybe turn computer into mixer this wknd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/238202-need-maybe-turn-computer-into-mixer-wknd.html)

Chris Sweet June 30th, 2009 03:03 AM

need to maybe turn computer into mixer this wknd

So I dont own a mixer, and without renting any gear Im thinking about rigging up what gear I do have for a shoot this weekend. It's a dvd seminar being put on a dvd set, the prod company wants a good final mix going to camera and also get backup iso recordings. Considering doing this, and wondering if this would be a good alternative to renting a mixer. (need one soon though! will buy one after this wraps, especially if I dont have to rent now, because I said I came w all gear needed) Anyways,

4 Mic inputs (All wireless RX's, 2 lavs, boom and rf handheld) going into
Edirol R4-Pro (recording multis) and sending 4 RCA line outs to
ESI Maya44USB external sound card wired usb to daw software like
Reaper controlling the mix with the
M-Audio X-Session Pro USB mixing controller
and sending the mix on a line out from the external soundcard to the camera

any comments on this setup? worried lack of balancing might not be too good, but may just try it out!

Gerry Gallegos June 30th, 2009 07:12 AM

computer mixer

Theoreticaly it will work untill you have to account for the latency of going thru your comp which will have to be compensated for in post.

good luck

Jordan Block June 30th, 2009 12:37 PM

Unless you are 100% confident that the computer / software is completely stable, I wouldn't risk it. I was testing out Reaper this weekend, just mixing down a couple songs, and it crashed pretty hard a couple times.

You can rent a 442 for like $40 bucks from Trew, or rent a small PA type mixer from Tom Lee or Long & McQuade, probably for even less than $40.

Jay Massengill June 30th, 2009 02:11 PM

I would rent a pro mixer or buy a decent quality music mixer since this is in a fixed location with AC power. Balanced outs for the long cable run, (as well as the usual cautions about ground loop hum that can still occur if the complete system's AC power is coming from different circuits in different parts of the venue), are important.
I wouldn't attempt to use a computer as the mixer in this situation.

Don Xaliman June 30th, 2009 06:44 PM

Go for a hardware mixer. Elsewise you will be building a house of cards with a window open. You never know when the wind will blow it all down.
A little Mackie 1202 with direct outs if you want to record separate tracks and get a stereo mix.

Chris Sweet July 6th, 2009 07:55 PM

thanks, I wont risk it! (kinda wanted to try mixing on-screen though, sounds like fun) I just bought a 1202. cheers!

Cris Hendrix July 8th, 2009 04:02 AM

Also, why send back to the camera? I'd just use a click and sync the audio in post, sending it to your camera is adding another generation of sound loss and losing your mixing capabilities later (or are you just sending it as a reference?)