need to maybe turn computer into mixer this wknd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

need to maybe turn computer into mixer this wknd

So I dont own a mixer, and without renting any gear Im thinking about rigging up what gear I do have for a shoot this weekend. It's a dvd seminar being put on a dvd set, the prod company wants a good final mix going to camera and also get backup iso recordings. Considering doing this, and wondering if this would be a good alternative to renting a mixer. (need one soon though! will buy one after this wraps, especially if I dont have to rent now, because I said I came w all gear needed) Anyways,

4 Mic inputs (All wireless RX's, 2 lavs, boom and rf handheld) going into
Edirol R4-Pro (recording multis) and sending 4 RCA line outs to
ESI Maya44USB external sound card wired usb to daw software like
Reaper controlling the mix with the
M-Audio X-Session Pro USB mixing controller
and sending the mix on a line out from the external soundcard to the camera

any comments on this setup? worried lack of balancing might not be too good, but may just try it out!
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Major Player

computer mixer

Theoreticaly it will work untill you have to account for the latency of going thru your comp which will have to be compensated for in post.

good luck
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Unless you are 100% confident that the computer / software is completely stable, I wouldn't risk it. I was testing out Reaper this weekend, just mixing down a couple songs, and it crashed pretty hard a couple times.

You can rent a 442 for like $40 bucks from Trew, or rent a small PA type mixer from Tom Lee or Long & McQuade, probably for even less than $40.
Jordan Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Trustee

I would rent a pro mixer or buy a decent quality music mixer since this is in a fixed location with AC power. Balanced outs for the long cable run, (as well as the usual cautions about ground loop hum that can still occur if the complete system's AC power is coming from different circuits in different parts of the venue), are important.
I wouldn't attempt to use a computer as the mixer in this situation.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Go for a hardware mixer. Elsewise you will be building a house of cards with a window open. You never know when the wind will blow it all down.
A little Mackie 1202 with direct outs if you want to record separate tracks and get a stereo mix.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks, I wont risk it! (kinda wanted to try mixing on-screen though, sounds like fun) I just bought a 1202. cheers!
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Also, why send back to the camera? I'd just use a click and sync the audio in post, sending it to your camera is adding another generation of sound loss and losing your mixing capabilities later (or are you just sending it as a reference?)
Cris Hendrix is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio