Field case for SD 442? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Field case for SD 442?

Pros and cons for the available SD 442 carrying cases?

Portabrace MXC-442

Petrol PEGZ-1

Kata Koala-3

Thank you.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It really depends what other stuff you're going to pack.......I personally prefer Petrol, they are very well made, great material, very solid (hence a bit heavier than the others) and has by far the nicest colors (!), but there's no 'this one is the best' situation.

My two Petrol bags though have been around the world more than once and almost look new;-)
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Major Player

SD 442 Bag

Thank you for your input.
The Petrol does indeed look nice but, as you indicated, it is heavy, almost as heavy as the 442 itself and then there is the fact that no one seems to have it in stock.

As for the intended contents, in addition to the 442, I would like to be able to carry a pair of headphones, assorted cables, batteries and the like.
Unfortunately, there are no nearby suppliers (S. Florida) that would allow one to actually compare the previously mentioned items, thus, the request for opinions.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

More regarding weight: if the only stuff you're going to put into the bag is some AAs, a pair of headphones and some cables, then don't worry about the weight of the bag.
This becomes an issue when you begin to attach all sorts of things on the front, the left and right and whathaveyou, uncounted wireless systems (lectros are heavier than the Sennheiser wireless toys), recorders, etc. etc.

The petrol bag really are very well built. If you can't check bags side by side in person you can feel confident by choosing the Petrol model. With the weight does come better protection. I really mentioned the weight in case you're planning to work on reality shows for months on doing 14 or more hour days - then every ounce counts.

ps. the bag is not as heavy as the 442 by a long shot ;-)

Last edited by Karl Lohninger; July 1st, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger View Post
...ps. the bag is not as heavy as the 442 by a long shot ;-)
Thank you once again.
I will endeavor to find a vendor that has one in stock but in regards to the bag's weight, Petrol's site claims 4lbs, whereas, the 442 weighs in, as per Sound Devices, at 4lbs 5 oz (I haven't actually weighed it myself).

Late Addition: Have found the PEGZ-1F (unclear about significance of "F" designation) at B&H and have placed an order.
Thanks again for your thoughts.

Last edited by Ron Wilk; July 1st, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Check out locationsound.com...got the pegz-1 from them a few weeks ago. Oh, be sure to get the Versa-flex HSN1 harness too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Thank you for your input.
The Petrol does indeed look nice but, as you indicated, it is heavy, almost as heavy as the 442 itself and then there is the fact that no one seems to have it in stock.

As for the intended contents, in addition to the 442, I would like to be able to carry a pair of headphones, assorted cables, batteries and the like.
Unfortunately, there are no nearby suppliers (S. Florida) that would allow one to actually compare the previously mentioned items, thus, the request for opinions.
Bill Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Petrol Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
Check out locationsound.com...got the pegz-1 from them a few weeks ago. Oh, be sure to get the Versa-flex HSN1 harness too.
Thank you for the suggestion but I have already ordered the bag from B&H. As an aside, however, I did check out the aforementioned web site and oddly enough they do not list Petrol as one of their suppliers and a site wide search for the product proved fruitless.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, their site is kinda sucky for information. I actually got a lot of high end stuff through them that they don't even list they carry.
Bill Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I would also recommend Coffeysound.com in L.A. Please ask for Sheri (and say hi to her from me). She is so helpful and has been around the sound community for a long time. She just knows her stuff + she's a funny girl ;-)

Nothing against B+H, but smaller shops are mucho better in customer service.

Karl
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Trustee

actaully I would of said the Pegz-2 if you have plans for any wireless use. I just barely fit into the 2 and wish I'd gone to the 3 really.

also Trew Audio in nashville, and Audio Services in NYC. B&H should be the place of last resort. support your pro audio dealer, there aren't many left.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio