DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   302 Field Mixer to HPX170 problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/238748-302-field-mixer-hpx170-problems.html)

David Aviv Nussbaum July 9th, 2009 03:07 PM

302 Field Mixer to HPX170 problems

I thought I knew what I was doing, but when I listen through the camera it's distorted. Is it something to do with the Mic or Line settings Right now everything is on MIC with a sennheiser 416

thanks

Rick Reineke July 9th, 2009 03:55 PM

The 302's XLR outputs are normally line-level. (0dB ref.) One must access the software menu to change the XLR outputs to mic-level. (or other level, which will also illuminate an LED on the right/side panel to indicate the level change.

However I would change the camera's input to "Line" instead.

David Aviv Nussbaum July 9th, 2009 04:18 PM

Okay I changed the camera to LINE, but when I listen to the audio through the camera it still doesnt seem right. It's not "distorted" but rather more of a slight reverb effect. However, I recorded a test, uploaded the p2 footage to FCP and played back and there was no reverb effect at all. strange.

so now im having a hard time deciphering what i am hearing correctly. The mixer or the camera?

Ty Ford July 9th, 2009 07:55 PM

Some cameras delay the audio to the headphone output slightly. It's disconcerting, but that's the way it is with some cameras in some modes. One camera, I remember, had very delayed audio when in 24p, but not in 30 or 60.

If it's OK once you get it on the time line, or during playback on the camera itself, you're good.

Regards,

Ty Ford

David Aviv Nussbaum July 9th, 2009 08:40 PM

here's an odd development.

I uploaded some footage I shot of my cat jumping to test slow mo, and I realized theres 2 audio tracks. 1 L&R track from my shotgun mic input (which was NOT attached during my demo) so there was ZERO audio. And the second L&R WITH audio, but i had my internal mic turned OFF. how is this possible, and could this be responsible for the reverb I heard?

Rick Reineke July 10th, 2009 10:15 AM

"could this be responsible for the reverb I heard?"

Could be... But I've never worked with a HPX-170.

The slo mo may have something to do with it also.

I'd get out the manual and check out the audio software menu settings.

David Aviv Nussbaum July 17th, 2009 09:25 AM

I am still having problems with this. It sounds crystal clear through the mixer, but through the camera the audio sounds fine, but there is this soft static fizz throughout.

Ty Ford July 17th, 2009 10:51 AM

David,

Try a pair of Sony MDR 7506 headphones. Also load a clip up to your computer and play it over good speakers.

Ty Ford

David Aviv Nussbaum July 17th, 2009 11:05 AM

I have those headphones, but I just recorded a bunch of tests and the problem seems to have fixed itself... weird.

Ty Ford July 17th, 2009 11:06 AM

not a comforting thought.

Ty Ford