Is it bad to plug XLR's into each other for storage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is it bad to plug XLR's into each other for storage?

When coiling an XLR, is it better to leave the ends hanging, or plugged into each other to complete a circular loop. Headphone jacks as well in a breakaway cable?

Thanks.
David Aviv Nussbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Really doesn't matter. The only thing recommended is to wrap up the cables in an under/over way!
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger View Post
Really doesn't matter. The only thing recommended is to wrap up the cables in an under/over way!
What does this mean exactly. Thank you.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I seen this question coming though hoped it wouldn't ;-) Because it's easy to show how to do it but hard to explain. Darn.

I'll try: The usual way folks are rolling up (wrapping) cables is by doing just that, rolling it up, one loop after the other. What this does though is induce some 'funky' memory into the cable so it will never stretch out flat if put on the floor. There will always be 'waves' or whatever one should call that.
Try the following: roll up your cable the 'usual' way, put the 'ring' down on the floor, take one ending and walk away with it. Look what's going to happen.

Here's the other way, called over/under: You start making the first cable loop as always, but the next one is done in 'reverse', that is....hold on, I'll try to find some on youtube....gimme a minute !
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, there are a few videos to the rescue; start with this one: YouTube - Over Under and you'll get the idea!

Done once right, you'll never do it the other way. Your cables will say thank you, your cable wraps will not be unruly any more and also take up less space and i.e. if you try now walking away with one end you'll see how easy the cable will follow you and also how nicely it'll hug the floor. No more accidents here.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Connect or not Connect?

If a coil's tie ends up close to the XLR's i leave 'em alone but if a tie leaves gangly dangling ends then i connect the XLR's to hold the coil tight and neat.
Eric Mayrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Trustee

Wow, there's a science to everything. Thanks. Now, can you show me an easy way to do color correction? :)
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It's too risky to leave them plugged in together. If a small amount of audio signal gets trapped inside it'll go round and round, gaining momentum, until the cable explodes.

The voices told me so.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Major Player

is it obsessive to say that i even over-under the garden hose at my house?
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Trustee

OOOO-Kay, let's get serious, we have been joshing you because it couldn't really matter. I tend to hook the xlr cable ends together because (1) I think it keeps the plugs and jacks from possibly getting damaged as I carry them in my gear bag and (2) I am a neat freak and like things tidy. It couldn't possibly hurt. Probably doesn't help. /B. Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

lol, thanks for being honest. I figured it was a stupid question, but I couldn't help but wonder if there was a "don't cross the streams" idea behind it.
David Aviv Nussbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hehehe...

Yep, we're all just kidding. The voices told me to knock it off...

BTW, some guys will plug in the ends of their stingers (extension cords) to help protect the prongs from getting mashed and bent.
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Inner Circle

i avoid to keep plugs plugged when unnecessary, because most plugs/socket rely on some spring effect. The pin of the male plug is usually pinched by some contact in the socket.
if you leave the plug into the socket, the spring effect could weaken and the pin start to "float" into the contact.
additionally different metal or humidity/dust can be trapped into the contact and lead to some oxydation process.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio