DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Quasi-portable battery for Lectro R185 Receiver? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/239398-quasi-portable-battery-lectro-r185-receiver.html)

Alain Lumina July 20th, 2009 11:18 PM

Quasi-portable battery for Lectro R185 Receiver?

Hi All,

I got a Lectrosonics 185 setup, the receiver is the non-internal battery type ( R185) but it has a 12 volt in, and the manual says it can be powered by battery.

I'm going to be doing location sound, but the rig doesn't have to be super portable, it will be sort of a mostly car-based rig, although I don't want to totally depend on wired power from the car.

I know it's better to get the one with the small receiver, but I got a great deal and I have to do what I can with funds.

The supplied AC adaptor is rated at 12 volts, 0.8 amps.

The connector is non-exotic barrel plug. Any ideas what a good rechargeable battery setup might be? Don't need the most expensive available!

Karl Lohninger July 21st, 2009 05:00 AM

Cheapest way is to use a simple 12V (lead) battery - like for motorbikes. Go to walmart - make a simple cable - check polarity - get a cheap charger - you're running.
I do essentially the same for my whole cart - difference is: I use big batteries (still from Walmart) put them in Pelican boxes, wire/fuse internally and mount 4 4-pin xlr jacks into the box. I use a more sophisticated charger.

Still that's essentially the same setup - only drawback obviously is weight. With 3 of those boxes I can go for quite a while out in the desert or mountains with no generators on the set.

Rick Reineke July 21st, 2009 08:51 AM

OR- Wire up a standard 9V with a Coax DC plug, since all of the 185 series ran on 9-18VDC. I think the 185LE version would be the same.
OR- A rechargeable model car battery, if you can find one of at least 9V.

Seth Bloombaum July 21st, 2009 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger (Post 1174371)
Cheapest way is to use a simple 12V (lead) battery - like for motorbikes... put them in Pelican boxes, wire/fuse internally and mount 4 4-pin xlr jacks into the box...

I've done the same as Karl, except for putting the batts in the smallest drink cooler, which is a very handy form for this. Handle on the top, compact, etc., very good for stuff where you're packing your own gear around, and very inexpensive.

This style cooler is sized for one six-pack of your favorite beverage, whoops, I mean battery.

Steve Oakley July 21st, 2009 11:45 AM

there are any number of 12V battery pak options out there. try your local batteries plus type place and have a small pak made, plus you also need a charger. you could have the pak made as 2 rows of 5 ( 10*1.35V=13.5V) which would velcro nicely onto the side of it. the lectros don't mind somewhat hotter voltage either so 13-14V in won't hurt them. I think they might go as hot as 18V to accomodate a hot charged 14.4V batter pak.I'd read the specs to be sure, or just call lectrosonics up.

might as well go rechargeable, especially if you might already have a charger around. the payback period is pretty quick