DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recommend a boom pole case/tube? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/239420-recommend-boom-pole-case-tube.html)

David Aviv Nussbaum July 21st, 2009 09:39 AM

Recommend a boom pole case/tube?

I was wondering if anyone has a specific brand or model that they swear by? Hard Case vs Soft case? etc. Thanks so much.

Karl Lohninger July 21st, 2009 11:35 AM

Go to home depot or similar - they have these (either black or white) plastic tubes, about 7ft long and about 3 inch diameter. Don't know what they're really for, water drainage or something. They are cheap. Cut any way and voila. Take a piece of rope and tape it on with gaffer tape so you've got a carrying handle. They even have fitting end caps for that. My booms sailed around the world more than once inside those custom cases.

Sam Mendolia July 21st, 2009 06:16 PM

Instead of the tape, drill two holes inthe top section, below the line of the top cover.

Pass the rope through one hole, tie a knot. Dot he same to the other hole and end of rope, and voila, a handle that will not come off easily.

Thanks for this idea, as my wife needs one or two of these for the studio flash stands.

David W. Jones July 22nd, 2009 05:46 AM

Sporting goods store = baseball bat soft case with strap.

John Dewey July 22nd, 2009 09:16 AM

rod/reel case

1 Attachment(s)
The best solution I have found is a Plano fishing rod/reel case. It lets me store my boom pole with the microphone still attached along with the Rycote windscreen. It even has a shoulder strap. The length of the case is made from a hard plastic, so it does a great job of protecting your boom pole.

Here is a picture:

Karl Lohninger July 22nd, 2009 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Drilling no holes keeps the whole thing totally water/dust/dirt tight. Costs: forgettable. Protection factor: enormous!

Allan Black July 22nd, 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger (Post 1174533)
Go to home depot or similar - they have these (either black or white) plastic tubes, about 7ft long and about 3 inch diameter. Don't know what they're really for, water drainage or something. They are cheap. Cut any way and voila. Take a piece of rope and tape it on with gaffer tape so you've got a carrying handle. They even have fitting end caps for that. My booms sailed around the world more than once inside those custom cases.

Yep, plumbers supplies outlets have cheap cut to length PVC water pipe with caps available, but it can generate static electricity with some rubber compounds on the pole.

Put the pole in a cotton bag.

Cheers.

Karl Lohninger July 22nd, 2009 11:46 PM

It ' can generate static electricity with some rubber compounds on the pole' , but it 'doesn't.

Bruce Hillman February 12th, 2010 10:03 AM

Boom pole case

Try Boom Tube cases. I use mine with my K-Tek K152 and it is great. I got mine at B&H.

Ben Crosbie February 15th, 2010 02:10 PM

I have a petrol boom tube case that I love. Very reasonably priced, soft padding inside, semi hard outside (you'd have to bang it pretty hard to mess up the pole inside). Got it at B&H.

Paul Hudson February 15th, 2010 06:44 PM

I use a fly rod case for my longer poles. Like this: Fly Fishing Flies - Fly Rod Case

Paul Hudson
Lizardlandvideo.com
Phoenix Video Production

Jordan Block February 16th, 2010 01:17 AM

I use a rather cheap rifle case to carry my booms. Flambeau Safeshot Oversized Economy Single Case - 6470SC

Dave Gish July 4th, 2013 01:35 PM

Re: Recommend a boom pole case/tube?

1 Attachment(s)
Plano 108361 hard case, $92.23:
Plano 36" Tactical All Weather Single Rifle Black Hard 40"X16"X5.5" 108361 | Chucks Guns

Rick Reineke July 5th, 2013 12:15 PM

Re: Recommend a boom pole case/tube?

A few years ago I got a 'White River Fly Shop Rod Tube' from Bass Pro Shops- for my K-Tek KEG100

"1000 denier Cordura® material over a tough PVC protective tube. These lightweight, airplane friendly rod tubes are outfitted with YKK zippers, and are lined with nylon for additional padding."
6 sizes, from 29" to 60" (2.5" id) ($23-25 cheap)
see photo here
Boom pole travel bag/case - Equipment - JWSOUNDGROUP