DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   air travel with mixer bag & wireless as carryon? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/239443-air-travel-mixer-bag-wireless-carryon.html)

Mark Bolding July 21st, 2009 03:07 PM

air travel with mixer bag & wireless as carryon?

I'm flying Delta from FL to IL this week and would like to take my mixer bag as carryon luggage. My bag has PSC Alphamix, 2 NP1 Li-ion batteries & 2 Lectro systems. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with TSA or airline employees with similar equipment?

Thank You

Mark

Shaun Roemich July 21st, 2009 03:14 PM

Can't help you with experience but since the NP1's are Li-Ion, be prepared to show the ELC (Equivalent Lithium Content) of the batteries from a manufacturers document. If they are under 8 grams ELC, they fly carry on only in ANY amount up to your weight allowance; between 8 and 25 grams, you are entitled to 2 pieces in CARRY ON ONLY; over 25g ELC, they don't fly AT ALL.

Barring literature with the ELC rating, the rating will be "calculated" by some math involving watt hours, which is TYPICALLY not in your favour OR you will be denied boarding with them entirely, depending on how much your check in agent knows about Li-Ion and dangerous goods regulations.

Rick Reineke July 21st, 2009 04:00 PM

I would avoid carrying on a boom pole, TSA agents sometimes have issues with this "bludgeoning tool".

Chris Swanberg July 21st, 2009 11:15 PM

I printed out a little label for each of my Li-Ions stating the lithium content and taped that lebel to each battery. I've never been confronted but I did see a TSA agent once pick up a battery and seeing the label and with a satisfactory nod to the plastic baggie...put it back down. Make sure you put each Li-Ion in a separate little plastic baggie or tape over the terminals. I think showing respect for the potential goes a long way. I also carry a printout of the FAA rule on Li-Ions... again never had to use it.

In my neck of the woods (Montana often is my destination) I have pondered using a fishing pole tube for a boom pole case... they are so prevalent during the summer up there that they do not even draw a second glance - but so far I have not travelled with a boom pole on an airline.

I don't think a mixer or wireless XMTR/RCVR's should pose any problem, I've carried my AT wireless with the camera (Sony Z-1) and it never drew a 2nd look.

Jim Andrada July 22nd, 2009 12:42 AM

Shaun makes a good point re "in carry on only"

While it might seem counter to common sense to require a "hazardous" item to be carried in the cabin, the logic is that if they DID catch fire it's a lot better to have it happen where people can notice it and put it out than down in the hold where nobody would know until - too late!

I've never had a problem carrying sound gear or cameras and batteries through security. Maybe just lucky, but on several occasions the TSA guys went out of their way to hand check everything without even letting any other passenger see what was in the bag.

Karl Lohninger July 22nd, 2009 11:45 AM

It is very weird! While it's impossible to take more than a spoonful of toothpaste with you somehow I never had a problem boarding with a full fledged set-up (national, international, Arab countries too). Mixer, recorder, any number of wireless systems (!) and what have you. Doesn't make sense, still not once a problem......;-)

Mark Bolding July 23rd, 2009 07:05 PM

Made it through without much trouble at all. My NP1's weren't even looked at, just a wipe down of the mixer and inspection of a stray 9 volt and I was good to go.
Thanks to all that weighed in and hopefully the trip home will be just as uneventful.

mb