DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lapel microphone for Zoom H2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/239815-lapel-microphone-zoom-h2.html)

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2009 05:28 AM

Lapel microphone for Zoom H2?

I'm looking for a high-quality lapel microphone for the Zoom H2 recorder that will suffice for weddings, under $400.

Anyone have any suggestions?

John Peterson July 27th, 2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1177194)
I'm looking for a high-quality lapel microphone for the Zoom H2 recorder that will suffice for weddings, under $400.

For planting on the groom I use this one:

ATR35 LAPEL MICROPHONE OMNIDIRECTIONAL CONDENSER

Works great and is all you really need for that purpose.

John

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2009 06:28 AM

John, I thank you for your response. The mic you kindly linked for me seems like a very good deal.

I am in the market for someting a bit higher-end I think.

Since the time I posted the original question I did find a place called MM audio and they have an extremely nice assortment of $60-$250 microphones with mini-plugs.

I wrote them a note and am seeing if they recommend any particular model from their line of mics.

If anyone else has suggestions I'm still looking! Thanks again John!

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2009 06:30 AM

While I'm here, I should ask another question:

Is there any reason or advantage to stereo lapel microphones vs mono?

Do I want omni directional mic for the groom or unidirectional? I'm guessing omni is better to pick up the bride with but thought I'd ask in case my assumption is wrong.

Ike Tamigian July 27th, 2009 07:02 AM

You may want to have a look at these. I think they are even specifically designed for a recorder like the H2 and will use the built in power.

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2009 07:14 AM

Ike, thanks. Those microphones may be just what I'm looking for! Thanks a million.

Jeff Kellam July 27th, 2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1177194)

Jeff:

The Sanken COS11D seems to be the industry standard lav mic. Sanken should be able to install the appropriate plug for use with a plug in power recorder. About $375.

Seth Bloombaum July 27th, 2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1177213)
Is there any reason or advantage to stereo lapel microphones vs mono?

No advantage to stereo, AFAIK. Stereo lav configs are used by concert tapers, so, there are a lot of such lavs around when you go looking for mini-terminated mics.
Quote:

Do I want omni directional mic for the groom or unidirectional? I'm guessing omni is better to pick up the bride with...
Omni. Not only for the bride's audio, but a uni will give problems even just miking the groom. A head-turn is enough to go "off-mic" with a uni lav.

You can spend way more money, I've recently purchased several Giant Squid lavs at about $30ea. for a local college. Entirely adequate. I'd call these "mini", not "sub-mini" microphones. Good recordings with my H4n, should work fine with your H2.

John Peterson July 27th, 2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1177212)
John, I thank you for your response. The mic you kindly linked for me seems like a very good deal.

I am in the market for someting a bit higher-end I think.

Since the time I posted the original question I did find a place called MM audio and they have an extremely nice assortment of $60-$250 microphones with mini-plugs.

I wrote them a note and am seeing if they recommend any particular model from their line of mics.

If anyone else has suggestions I'm still looking! Thanks again John!

If you are using it for music or a vocalist that would be a wise decision , however for capturing straight voice as with a bride and groom exchanging vows it may be overkill. The proximity of the mic is the biggest obstacle and that problem is solved when you pin it on the groom. I have some relatively expensive AT lapel mics that I use for vocalists and for miking some instruments, but for a groom the ATR35 works just as well for me. I can't hear any difference.

John

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2009 05:11 PM

Gentlemen ( I use that term loosely!) I thank you for your input.

I have tentatively settled on mic by Microphone Madness, the mm-hlso mini for $159. It has a MKE2 capsule, which should be great.

I'll tell you why I'm looking for a slightly higher end microphone.

I used to have an AKG wireless receiver and lav (my first one). I hated it because it had no battery indicator. It was a few years old, and I had bought it used. New it cost around $700 or more.

Anyway, it sounded so great, that prospects watching my videos in my living room often remarked how they loved the sound of the vows, preachers, etc. in my videos, and I am certain it sold more than a few jobs for me.

So I decided to "upgrade" to the Sennheiser G2. It (the mic that comes with it) is much lower quality than my old unit. I'm not saying the ME2 capsule that comes with the G2 is actually terrible. It's just an inexpensive, standard kind of lav I guess and it is clear I was spoiled with a unit that was better than I knew.

I can tell you for sure customers have not remarked much at all about the audio quality since i switched units, and I certainly miss the wonderful rich sound of my old unit.

So anyway, I've been receiving lots of interference lately with the G2 (NOT blaming the unit) and I'm absolutely sick of the uncertainty of wireless.

So it seemed to me that I should break out my old Zoom H2 and find a great microphone to go with it, and the MKe2 is supposedly VERY good.

I'm going to purchase a second Zoom, for use on the podium at weddings, and I should be good to go.

Actually I might check out other recorders, such as the H4 which I know nothing about, since the Zoom H2 was among the best bang for the buck two years or so ago. By now there may be other great things to try.

Rob Morse July 27th, 2009 08:40 PM

Probably too late but I recently purchased a Voice VT500 that works with the G2 and it sounded fantastic for $234. It also came with kit that had a wind screen, tie tac, alligator clip, etc.

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2009 08:50 PM

Sounds very nice Rob, nice little kit.

Jeff Kellam July 27th, 2009 10:22 PM

Jeff:

Just put a new plug on your old favorite lav and use it on the H2. The H2 has plug in power I believe.

Or get a COS11D for the G2. That won't fix the interference though.

Also, put the G2 squelch on low and pilot=on.

I was just testing a G2 system a few nights ago with different lavs and comparing it to direct recording to a digital recorder. With a perfect signal, a good G2 system only changes the sound quality very slightly over direct recording.

Jeff Harper July 28th, 2009 12:34 AM

I'll tell you what got me back to using the zoom Jeff: I've had it since it first came out for all intents and purposes I've not really used it at all, till recently. The sound from it when placed on the podium was amazing, I was struck by how clear and noiseless it was compared to my wireless unit.

I did check the squelch on the wireless per your advice, it was set to low, and the pilot was on. But virtually every wedding I've used it for at some point I hear static at least a couple of times. Last week high up on a hill it was really bad, but it didn't manifest itself until into the wedding, of course.

John Peterson July 28th, 2009 06:40 AM

Jeff,

Post back with your results after you try out the mm-hlso mini. That looks very promising. I may end up getting one myself.

John