DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Full Soft-Zep blimp for EUR 130? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/240136-full-soft-zep-blimp-eur-130-a.html)

Toenis Liivamaegi August 1st, 2009 07:29 PM

Full Soft-Zep blimp for EUR 130?

Hi there,

Has anyone ever seen or used a Soft-Zep blimp?
It is so cheap (about EUR 130.- ex. VAT for the furry MKII) but seems to do the job quite well.

Soft-Zep (in-action videos)

Zeppelin Systems ? Reinhardt Microphone Windshields

How would this sort of foam blimp work as a shock mount?

T

Jordan Block August 1st, 2009 08:06 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like it's just a big-ass foam windscreen taking the place of the shockmount and zeppelin cage. If it was $100 US, I'd give it a go, but with Rode making pretty decent zeps for $300, I don't know that I'd drop $200 for what appears to amount to a chunk of foam with a handle.

Ben Longden August 1st, 2009 09:17 PM

Have to agree.. Rode is the way to go.
Mine is in regular use and works well under extremes - the worst I had was 42c at 40kts.

Ben

Mike Peter Reed August 2nd, 2009 07:49 AM

the Rode copies of Rycote systems may be good, but you gotta give it to the Reinhardt guys, they're doing something "new".

usual rules apply - hire, listen, choose

Toenis Liivamaegi August 2nd, 2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Peter Reed (Post 1179863)
the Rode copies of Rycote systems may be good, but you gotta give it to the Reinhardt guys, they're doing something "new".

usual rules apply - hire, listen, choose

The rode blimp is like 50 years old technology that works allright but even Rycote doesn't use the rubber band tech any more for two years or so.
I have an old Sennheiser blimp that is really similar to Rycote's and Rode's but the rubber bands are transmitting about 200% more handling noise that Rycote's "Lyres" for example.

So if I did my math right the "foam blimp" might be as good as "Lyres" in regards of dampening handling noise and much better in regards of dampening wind noise when compared to fur and cheesecloth.

But the Reinhardt is a rare one to rent in EU because everyone either owns one or don't know about it at all.

T

John Willett August 3rd, 2009 10:23 AM

The Rycote S-series is about the same price as the Rode Blimp and comes with "Lyre" suspensions.

Paul R Johnson August 3rd, 2009 11:08 AM

The one thing that does occur to me is that as you have in effect, a huge sponge - what happens when it rains? A zepplin even with a furry cover, just gets wet, and the mic inside, protected by the air space, fares quite well. The solid foam will soak up the rain, won't it? The weight will go up rapidly, and although I suppose you could squeeze it out, it's a bit prone to the UK weather in the same way every open cell foam windshield is.

Bruce Taylor August 5th, 2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1180279)
The Rycote S-series is about the same price as the Rode Blimp and comes with "Lyre" suspensions.

I have never tried a Rycote product, but their suspension system seems well-praised and will probably last longer than rubber bands. I have no idea if it's actually better in use than rubber bands vibration-damping-wise, though.

One thing I'd like to know about Rycote is why they have so many different sizes of their S blimps and/or if the internals are adjustable to accommodate for smaller sizes in a large blimp, for example.

In other words, can you buy a large blimp from Rycote (say, the one that can accommodate 325mm mics like the Rode Blimp) and mount a small mic in it stably if you have to?

Current prices are about 10% more than the Rode, though I notice B&H include some bonuses if buying the Rode Blimp.

Toenis Liivamaegi August 8th, 2009 03:22 AM

Three days later it arrived.
It is a wind protector and not a shock mount but it is usable.
As a shock mount it is not as good as Rycote Lyres but as wind wind protector nothing comes close that I have used - needs to be tested in real conditions.

T

Will Boggs September 3rd, 2009 08:00 PM

So, Toenis, do you have a verdict? I assume you got the Reinhardt Soft Zep. Have you tested in real conditions?

Mike Peter Reed September 4th, 2009 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor (Post 1186469)
can you buy a large blimp from Rycote (say, the one that can accommodate 325mm mics like the Rode Blimp) and mount a small mic in it stably if you have to?

I guess you could, but it would not be optimal. Rycote have a chooser for most makes of popular mic:
Rycote - Product Search

Personally I'm a big fan of Rycote Softies and Smoothies w/windjammers for run-and-gun but will always bring out my full Rycote system for severe weather or more predictable double-system film work. I haven't upgraded to the lyre system yet, probably be another few years before I do. The blimp on my Neumann is dated 1981 and the suspension uses elastic (rather than rubber) but is still in perfect condition as far as I can see.

I also have some ancient Rycote pistol grips from half a century ago, those things are heavy and harsh but they still aint broken (the fabric blimp on the other hand was all but eaten away).

From the demo the Reindhardt is pretty impressive but how many decades will it last in the UK climate? Unknown, for now. Rycote is well known ...