DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/240277-audio-issue.html)

David Kovalev August 3rd, 2009 10:15 PM

Audio Issue

I need help! My hair is falling out from all this research I'm doing and I just cant find the answer! Here is my problem:

I film weddings and I have an MP3 player that records my back-up audio for the ceremony. It records in .wma file format. Every wedding I use this audio in Adobe Premiere and I never have issues with it. This last wedding I'm having an issue with getting the audio file INTO preimere (it freezes up and shuts down/ no error messages) I tried converting it but it only converts 18 seconds out of 2 hours of it. I did notice that in the beginning of the track the sound turns off then on then off and on from the mixer board maybe?? Could it be that premiere and other converting software thinks that the audio ends so it stops there? If so can i trim it somehow? I've tried all sorts of software and I cant get it into premiere! (It plays PERFECTLY in windows media and other media players) Sound Booth freezes as well.

If anyone knows a solution or may suggest something please do! I need this audio file!
Thanks.

Steve House August 4th, 2009 05:54 AM

Can't help much with your specific issue but in general you want to avoid ever using any sort of compressed audio format such as mp3 or wma files, especially if you hope to sync the recording to video later. For optimum results use a recorder that will let you record in an uncompressed pcm native wav file at 48kHz, the standard audio sample rate for video applications.

You might be correct that the dropouts are causing the software to interpret them as the end of file, the gaps indicating separate tracks. Copy the files to your computer and load them into a sound editing program such as the freeware Audacity (if you don't already have one) and see if you can recombine them.

David Kovalev August 4th, 2009 07:25 AM

Thanks for the advice Steve, I will keep that in mind.
Actually its only one track and I cant find a way to cut the beginning (trim) to get rid of the dropout. I've tried many softwares that trim and convert but nothing is working. If I open this file in premiere or soundbooth... it freezes.

Anyone else?

Steve House August 4th, 2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kovalev (Post 1180686)
Thanks for the advice Steve, I will keep that in mind.
Actually its only one track and I cant find a way to cut the beginning (trim) to get rid of the dropout. I've tried many softwares that trim and convert but nothing is working. If I open this file in premiere or soundbooth... it freezes.

Anyone else?

Audacity is a freeware dowload, give it a try.

Rick Reineke August 4th, 2009 09:05 AM

FWIW.... When I encounter a problematic file, I change the extension to ".raw" and open in Sound Forge This works most of the time.
This also opens wave files that are over the 2GB limit.