Alesis HD 24 Hard disc recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Alesis HD 24 Hard disc recorder

Anyone have any experience using this as a multi-track recorder for shows? Will it stay in sync without some sort of jam sync? I may use the ADAT inputs or the analog inputs.
thx
dm
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've had good experiences with it several times - holds sync over an hour.

This is using the analog inputs, therefore the internal clock. If you go ADAT lightpipe input, you can select clock from digital input - at whatever quality that clock is. I've been perfectly happy with 24-bit 48KHz for video sync, which it can do natively from the analog inputs.

With external A-D converters via lightpipe, you can get 24/96.

It does accept external word clock or adat sync. If you have a way to provide word clock you'd be sample-accurate.

See pp 17 and 67-68 of the manual, which is available for download at alesis.com.

One thing that isn't clear until you try without: you *really* need the Fireport 1394 accessory to ingest the recordings to your computer. The Ethernet works, but is extremely slow.
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

thx,
this is encouraging. I really don't need 24 tracks but I often need 6 or 8 while I'm doing a multi-cam shoot. Ebay used pricing is pretty attractive. I can usually get word clock from the Yamaha digital mixers.
David Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio