Best RF Carrier frequency for cities, and omni vs. cardioid lav? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 14th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Best RF Carrier frequency for cities, and omni vs. cardioid lav?

Hi all. If I'm using a wireless in San Francisco, does it matter which RF frequency I purchase for the Senn. Evo 100 series? Does one range work better in a city than others when it comes to signal competition? The choices are: 518-550; 630-662; 740-772 MHz

Also, I've read all sorts of pros and cons for omni vs. cadioid lavs. Anybody have any personal preference they want to chime in, re the ME 2 vs. ME 4? It will be used indoors (home and hospital interviews) as well as outdoors, on a speaker doing Q & A in front of an audience of kids.

Thanks in advance (again!),
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #2
Trustee

If you're buying the rig from a full service audio shop, they'll know.
There is a site that lists the frequencies though. hopefully someone will have the link.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Marcia--check out the lectrosonics web site to select the best frequency range in your area for your wireless set.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl

I highly recommend an omni lav to start with. They're easier to use because the placement of a lav can vary so much (shirt, collar, hair, glasses, etc.). An omni lav can also be used to mic 2 people close to each other and it works nicely as a plant mic on the set.
Barry Schmetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Barry, so by way of example, on that site's link, if its TV frequency range for San Francisco stops at 506-512 (for the 500's, that is... there are others listed in the 6 & 700's), and the Sennheiser's Evo frequency is listed at 518-550, then the Evo should be fine to use in that city, correct? How reliable is that measurement? Is all this a guess at best and the only "sure thing" is a wired lav?
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #5
Major Player

before you buy ,just take the scaner and check the friqwencis in your aria, do it twice and in different sites , you probly will find the windows which good for you, or if you cant do it find someone who dealing with eng in your aria.
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Marcia Janine Galles : Barry, so by way of example, on that site's link, if its TV frequency range for San Francisco stops at 506-512 (for the 500's, that is... there are others listed in the 6 & 700's), and the Sennheiser's Evo frequency is listed at 518-550, then the Evo should be fine to use in that city, correct? How reliable is that measurement? Is all this a guess at best and the only "sure thing" is a wired lav? -->>>

As you might expect, the UHF bandwith around SF is crowded. For each channel or frequency, the chart shows the nearest analog or digital transmitter. The digital channels have been reserved, but it doesn't mean they're transmitting anything...yet. Look for a wirelesss set that covers the frequencies that includes analog and digital transmitters that are as far away as possible--like 50 or 60 miles. If a live station is transmitting 10 miles away from you, you can expect intereference on most of that frequency band. The recommendation to talk to some vendors in your area is also good advice.
Barry Schmetter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio