DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   wireless mic comparison (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/24878-wireless-mic-comparison.html)

Emily Rumsey April 21st, 2004 02:36 PM

wireless mic comparison

i'm looking at a camera that comes with a sony diversity wireless mic kit (up to 300ft.) i'm wondering if this would be a good choice to start off with for what i need. (i do short docs and occational weddings.) i was looking at a lectrosonics 100, which goes for about $1300 and up to 1000ft. i wouldn't mind saving that extra thousand dollars if the sony would be a good system for starters. any thoughts?

Jimmy McKenzie April 21st, 2004 04:09 PM

Sony and sennheiser make nice sets in the 500 to 800 buck range with plenty of frequency choice and transmission range.

As for the extra 1000 bucks for the 1000 foot range, I would keep the 1k buck in my jeans. Unless of course you are using a telescope for a video camera and your talent were so stage frightened to have to be that far from the camera...

Just kidding ... that 1000 foot range has it's uses for live events in large venue halls and big zoom broadcast cameras.
So unless your weddings are at the most grand of locations, the money might best be saved for other gear.

Jay Massengill April 21st, 2004 04:12 PM

It's been my experience with my 2 Lectro 100 series sets that the usable reliable range is only about 100 feet. Lectrosonic's higher end units are a much better investment in my opinion.
I don't have any experience with the Sony units, but generally speaking, diversity units are more reliable than single-antenna sets.

Peter Jefferson April 24th, 2004 12:46 AM

there was no comparison between the Sonys and the Senns when i went shopping..

The senn wins hands down.. the EW series have to be some of the most robust packs and frequency flexible mics i have EVER had the pleasure of owning..

(frequency flexible as in dunamic range being WIIIIIIIDE... absolutely HUUGE basses are picked up with a head about the size of your pinky nail..

CANNOT be faulted

Emily Rumsey April 24th, 2004 04:24 PM

thanks for the senn suggestion. i looked into it and found something new to question...

what about this mic system from sennheiser?

Sennheiser Evolution 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Lavalier Wireless System with EK100 Receiver SK100 BodyPack Transmitter and ME4 Microphone (B 630-662)_

Bryan Beasleigh April 24th, 2004 04:59 PM

I have the same setup only with the extra plug in transmitter for separate mics and I've never had a problem. I would recomend the ME2 omni lav rather than the ME4 hypercardoid. It's all the same price, just a different polar pattern... The hypercardoid is very directional.

Peter Jefferson April 25th, 2004 11:08 PM

I use 2 EW100's on seperate channels depending on the job (if im doin stage or orchestra, im wired remotely for stereo.

I also use the ME2 omni lav's... absolutely BRILLIANT heads.. theyre omnidirectional, however with clever monitoring, u can work with this to your benefit

I would only recoomend a uni mic to those shooting is a controlled environment, like an interview or studio setup.

Personally, i am yet to have the need for that type of head (on a lav that is)