DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Head phones...quick ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/25207-head-phones-quick.html)

Bryan Adamez April 27th, 2004 11:27 AM

Head phones...quick ?

Need a couple of pieces of advice from you gurus.

1. Does anyone recommend against Shure Wireless products? Getting UP4 diversity receiver, U1 body pack transmitter, WL51B Cardiod lav, SM89 shotgun mic and some accesories.

2. What is your opinion of the best all-around audio monitoring headphones? Want to spend under $100

Thanks in advance!

-Bryan

Matt Stahley April 27th, 2004 12:36 PM

For $100 you can get some Sony MDR-7506 phones.I've had the same pair for about 10 years and use them everyday. Very rugged with good clean sound.I believe Shure makes an earbud phones for about $100 that will give you some isolation from outside sound and noise.I see your in Hagerstown. Im in Waynesboro welcome to the boards.

Bryan Beasleigh April 27th, 2004 12:44 PM

I agree with Matt, the 7506's are the standard.

Bryan Adamez April 27th, 2004 12:58 PM

Thanks guys.

That is the model that was recommended by my local sound dealer.

one more check mark on the list!

-Bryan

Mike Butler April 29th, 2004 07:58 PM

7506 is my constant companion, I even carry them in their little drawstring bag tied to the outside of my attache case (yeah, I'm a bit mental), they work great and sound great.

As for Shure, they are my first choice among many reputable players (although I recently got the Senn Evo ENG kit for my wireless on-camera solution). My default is the SM58 for voice work. It's always the SM58 for the key presenter on the podium or the lead vocalist. Their stuff lasts forever and has been popular with pro musicians for years.

Allen Nash May 5th, 2004 04:57 PM

Actually, for audio monitoring during production I would reccomend the Koss QZ-99's. They are the heavy duty passive noise reduction headphones that air traffic controllers wear to lower jet airplane noise and be able to hear instructions. I'd recommend them because of the following:

A) very heavy duty. won't break
b) nice noise cancellation for a passive headphone, which means you don't have to pop in batteries.
c) won't accidentally fall of during a shot. they stay put.
d) mono/stereo switch and volume knob

The frequency response is average (not studio quality), but I don't believe you need to hear with the best audio quality while shooting. What you really need is to keep outside noise down and not let too much inside noise leak out (to prevent mic feedback).

as for post work, I'll always use my Grados.

Mike Butler May 6th, 2004 09:51 AM

Well, the QZs are certainly affordable, less than half the price of 7506s. They look like the big ol' David Clarks I used to wear while flying my little old Cherokee 140. Definitely big and definitely kept the prop noise out.